Thread: Another fledgling

Thumbs up Another fledgling

Hey all,

Not really sure where to post this but here goes. Have just got into the Long Mynd Hike after being on the reserve list. Really looking forward to it, plenty of friends are doing it of varying abilities. Its a bit of a pre-40, mid-life crisis thing I have no real running experience but our 1st session from Stiperstones around Corndon, Black Rhadley and back around 16 miles went better than expected (3hrs 45ish)

My main query is footwear, there seems to be a lot more road work than trail/fell so was wondering if anyone could recommend decent running shoes that could cope with a bit of off-road?

Any other advice for a first-timer?

all help greatly appreciated

thx

PS do people still harden their feet with surgical spirit or is that old hat/urban myth?
    Last edited by Rod; 29-08-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Re: Another fledgling

Welcome Rod. Don't have LM experience, but wishing you all the best for a great day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Hey all,

Not really sure where to post this but here goes. Have just got into the Long Mynd Hike after being on the reserve list. Really looking forward to it, plenty of friends are doing it of varying abilities. Its a bit of a pre-40, mid-life crisis thing I have no real running experience but our 1st session from Stiperstones around Corndon, Black Rhadley and back around 16 miles went better than expected (3hrs 45ish)

My main query is footwear, there seems to be a lot more road work than trail/fell so was wondering if anyone could recommend decent running shoes that could cope with a bit of off-road?

Any other advice for a first-timer?

all help greatly appreciated

thx
    Hi Rod,

Get some decent trail shoes, i'm liking Sportiva Crosslites at the mo. They'll cope with road as well. Set off steady and run within yourself, eat and drink little and often. And don't forget your doing it for enjoyment, keep smiling
    Hills and Guinness!

Thx for the welcome, as I said I'm really looking forward to it. I 'did' the Mudrunner Oblivion in April,3 peaks in 2006 and the Vierdaagse in 1999 but apart from that and a 3 mile run in Shrewsbury I'm a complete running novice.

I must stop signing up for events because friends have!
    Last edited by Rod; 29-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.