Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Head torch recommendations

Fellhound

Re: Head torch recommendations

Hmph, I seem to recall a certain Mr Breeze accusing Emily Whitehead and I of 'cheating' as we passed him on the descent at Ingleborough with much brighter lights... Looks like he's seen the light since then :wink:

PS - hard to make a recommendation since there's so much choice. I have 5 headtorches, the most recent being a "Nightsearcher" HT191 which is very good value. I don't think it's neccessary to go to the expense of a Hope.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...h/head-torches

(may be available cheaper on eBay)
    Last edited by Fellhound; 31-08-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Extra info

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    Hmph, I seem to recall a certain Mr Breeze accusing Emily Whitehead and I of 'cheating' as we passed him on the descent at Ingleborough with much brighter lights... Looks like he's seen the light since then :wink:
    Joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance

Luke 15/7
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I had a Myo and it was OK for looking at the gas meter under the stairs.

But start doing night races (as in the BRILLIANT! Bedlamites DVD) and once you have seen the light after someone passes you wearing a Hope and you have been cast into eternal darkness wearing your puny Petzl you will regret the day you decided to live without Hope.
    There's no way in hell I would pay that sort of money for a headtorch and I don't think I need to either. I use an energizer one from Argos at the moment (think it was £25), it's not perfect but it's a lot brighter than the head torches my clubmates use (which I think at least one is a Petzl) and it's waterproof as well. When it finally pops its clogs I might consider spending a little more, but so far it's lasted 2 winters averaging one AA battery per winter, which for me is more than adequate.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

I have a petzl myo rxp and find it more than enough batteries last a good while its not to heavy and i find it bright enough.I dont really want a street lamp on my head

I've had lots of myo Xps, and I've had faults with some wires including one that caught fire!!

All exchanged promptly by Petzl so good service.
    I now use Lenser H7(racing) and H14 (BG, long runs and searches)

If any one wants a Myo XP, I have a new one unopened from petzl, Sensible offers and it's yours.

But start doing night races (as in the BRILLIANT! Bedlamites DVD) and once you have seen the light after someone passes you wearing a Hope and you have been cast into eternal darkness wearing your puny Petzl you will regret the day you decided to live without Hope.
    If my budget stretched as far as Hope then I'd probably buy one, but as it is I'm happy to pay a fraction of the price and eat a few more carrots, seems to work for me!

What I forgot to mention about the Myo XP is that I know a few guys that have also had wiring issues with theirs, though Petzl are always very fast to replace faulty ones.

Banned

The Silva X-Trail PLUS headlamp is a fantastic headtorch very powerful, lightweight ,stable and long battery life.
    Best price ive seen HERE
    Last edited by Insider; 01-09-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    The Silva X-Trail PLUS headlamp is a fantastic headtorch very powerful, lightweight ,stable and long battery life.
    Best price ive seen HERE
    Link doesn't work for me

I suppose you don't miss what you've never had .... I've been out on night runs with people wearing Hope headtorches and concur that they are a powerful and efficient tool, however I still think the cost is prohibitive. The new Myo XP is plenty good enough for me (mind you, it replaced a Petzl Tikka), I did a night support on BGR leg 3 with it a few weeks ago and it was just fine, I never felt that the light was insufficient for safe passage.

That said, I'm an ex-submariner so am used to dingy and subdued lighting!

Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    Link doesn't work for me
    This link should work... http://www.gaynors.co.uk/productdeta...e=140802420006.