Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: Head torch recommendations

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    I appear to now own a(claimed) 2200 lumen head torch. Which at 70% runs for 10hrs.

Which is nice
    Which one!?

Used the Black Diamond Icon the other night coming off Whernside. Seem ok. Moving between modes is slightly complicated. But I think once I've used it a bit it'll become clear. Had a bit of bother a few weeks ago up Glen Coe, recceing WHW, couldn't get it off red mode! But after a bit of fiddling sorted it....then we read the instructions once we got home! Full beam and LED mode are definitely adequate for me at the moment.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

The biggest point I would add from my experience of getting into night-time running recently, would be to consider the fit. It struck me almost immediately into the first run that while there is extensive discussion in this thread and others, it almost all centres around lumens and cost per lumen. For any fellow newbies to night-running, I'd advise that the fit of the headtorch is vital, as an uncomfortable headtorch could be so offputting as to discourage night-running entirely.

I opted for a Lenser H7R after reading this thread extensively. I have found the light output from the Lenser to be more than enough for running on roads and well surfaced tracks, and adequate for running at full speed through woods even when quite muddy, though in the latter case I would feel more confident with a bit more light. Somebody else commented on having enough output to see colours as being very helpful, and I would second this.

The spread of the beam at max angle is ideal for running, and both the spread and the brightness are easy to adjust, even with gloves. I tend to turn the brightness down towards the lower end on roads or well paved tracks to retain some night vision as with full beam it can be difficult to see far outside the immediate beam area on a dark night, which is a bit disconcerting.

But back to the point of comfort - I cannot so far get the torch in a position that I find comfortable for long. The furthest I have taken it on night runs has been around 5 miles and I would not consider doing much more at the moment I am constantly having to readjust. There are two main issues. The first is that the front section tends to slip down once sweaty. I will experiment with hats/buffs but I prefer not to wear these as my head stays warm enough already in the mild winter we've had so far. Tightening the band helps somewhat but puts too much pressure on the forehead. I have noticed that most of the pressure from the Lenser is distributed over quite a small area right at the front, and a better designed band could alleviate this.

The second issue with the design is the vertical angle of the beam. While the spread of the beam at full angle is around 40 degrees which is fine laterally, the vertical angle (up/down) is limited through a poor design in my opinion. There are only two 'clicks' available between pointing directly forward and straight down (i.e. 0, 30, 60 and 90 degrees). Unfortunately I often want an angle somewhere between the middle two, but have to settle for either one or the other. This may seem trivial but when running over rough ground it's vital to see exactly where needed, so I end up having to tilt my head either further up or further down that I would normally, which is annoying and probably not good for posture.

So in summary, while I would not hesitate to recommend the Lenser for walking, or for its light output; for anybody new to night-time running I would suggest borrowing and trying whichever torch you are considering first if at all possible. Personally I will keep going with the Lenser but I do not see myself ever fully enjoying it, and if I keep up the regular night-runs I'll reward myself next winter with something more expensive to shave off even one third of the weight.
    Last edited by Endox; 28-01-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Which one!?

Used the Black Diamond Icon the other night coming off Whernside. Seem ok. Moving between modes is slightly complicated. But I think once I've used it a bit it'll become clear. Had a bit of bother a few weeks ago up Glen Coe, recceing WHW, couldn't get it off red mode! But after a bit of fiddling sorted it....then we read the instructions once we got home! Full beam and LED mode are definitely adequate for me at the moment.
    To be fair, it's really an MTB light that happens to have a head strap. This new light will be staying on the bike, with my old bike light a dedicated head torcher. The batteries are lumps to carry around, but I just stuff them into a light ruck sack or bum bag and quickly forget they're there.

I reckon the only time I'll use this new light for running is if I'm heading out into the hills at night for 4hrs+ 1400 lumens for (a claimed) 10hrs is pretty good going.

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mounta...the-lumenator/

You can source similar stuff from Deal Extreme and ebay. But quality has proven patchy amongst folk I know that have gone down that route.

Smudge (the fella that runs the above company) has top notch customer service, a decent warranty. The batteries are top drawer. The combination of excellent battery, quality light unit with some decent smartish gubbins, a good charger, warranty, and no shonky build quality are what swung it for me. And still a damned sight cheaper than the likes of Exposure which I don't think can be used as a head torch anyway.

The one criticism I have with my other head torch http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mounta...bike-light-v1/

Is that the shadows etc thrown out cause problems for runners using low output lights, however this really isn't a problem with the new one. As there's no longer any shadows left.
    Last edited by shaunaneto; 28-01-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    pies

The biggest point I would add from my experience of getting into night-time running recently, would be to consider the fit. It struck me almost immediately into the first run that while there is extensive discussion in this thread and others, it almost all centres around lumens and cost per lumen. For any fellow newbies to night-running, I'd advise that the fit of the headtorch is vital, as an uncomfortable headtorch could be so offputting as to discourage night-running entirely.
    Have to admit I've not encountered fit problems, although I have a fat head. Once my head is wedged into the straps it doesn't seem to budge.
    pies

On the comfort front, as its been raised, the Icon has a small (4 x AA) pouch on the back which balances the light unit on the front. It has the strap across the top of the head, which I specifically wanted, and all in all seems, after limited use, pretty comfy and stable!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Anyone got a led lenser 7.2? Thinking about going for one as my tikka xp isn't really up to it, specially as I don't want a stupid stumble trip to potentially ruin a BG attempt. I fell twice recently on a night run with my tikka 😞.

I had the same problem with the Lensor H7R, that it wouldn't sit comfortably on my pellet. It would side down and rest on my ears, which was uncomfortable. Unless I cranked up the tension on it round my noggin until it wouldn't move, which was then at the point of been too tight.

Since moving to the Silva runner I have no such problems, with the battery (which is pretty lightweight anyhow) sitting perfectly in the gel pocket at the back of either my Ron Hill tights or shorts, you don't notice the weight of torch itself, as it only weighs 69g. I would describe the performance as on the weakest setting is better than the Lensor on full but without the dark spots you get with the Lensor beam. Yes it is more expensive but I think it's definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooj View Post
    Anyone got a led lenser 7.2? Thinking about going for one as my tikka xp isn't really up to it, specially as I don't want a stupid stumble trip to potentially ruin a BG attempt. I fell twice recently on a night run with my tikka ��.
    I've got a standard 7 which I've used on many night races and on bgs. Also used on HPM, They are great.
    I was racing with the new seo7r last night great torch but the on/off button is a bit fiddly .

I've got this & love it. It fair lit up Ilkley Moor last night: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-Recha...rds=led+lenser

Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    I had the same problem with the Lensor H7R, that it wouldn't sit comfortably on my pellet. It would side down and rest on my ears, which was uncomfortable. Unless I cranked up the tension on it round my noggin until it wouldn't move, which was then at the point of been too tight.

Since moving to the Silva runner I have no such problems, with the battery (which is pretty lightweight anyhow) sitting perfectly in the gel pocket at the back of either my Ron Hill tights or shorts, you don't notice the weight of torch itself, as it only weighs 69g. I would describe the performance as on the weakest setting is better than the Lensor on full but without the dark spots you get with the Lensor beam. Yes it is more expensive but I think it's definitely worth it.

Just for the record, that mtb light/head torch thing I got.

Flipping awesome. Anything that involves long night sections that is now my go to head torch.

Left it on 70% last night to cycle the battery, it's still bloody going. And the light output is spot on. That's over 10hrs now at 1400(claimed)lumens.
    pies