Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windfall

Thumbs up Windfall

Yes Windfall

Went out this morning to check out a location for a MR exercise, I knew there was a couple of Damsen trees so thought I might get a few, enough to make some Gin or maybe a few jars of Jam....

Hmmmm got home and I think I got carried away. The strong winds last night brought down tree loads, I've got......about 18lbs!!!! 3 1/2 boxes, 3 different types and left probably as much behind... It would have been easier to pick them up with a shovel.

Any how , I've frozen some for later, just starting the second batch and will do some gin later...

What should I make with the 2 boxes remaining...

I've a carrier bag of plums coming my way tommorow night!

Re: Windfall

Damson wine is lovely if you've got the stuff to ferment them.

I know someone who would be happy to take a box off your hands... in return for a couple of cups of tea, and maybe some Blackberry Jam....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    Damson wine is lovely if you've got the stuff to ferment them.
    000 interesting some research may need doing, used to make wine with kits so Demi johns should be about some where.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    I know someone who would be happy to take a box off your hands... in return for a couple of cups of tea, and maybe some Blackberry Jam....
    I'm sure I could spare some, Blackberry and sloe(to use up last years sloes from the freezer) jam making was done last week, plus I've a 3 x 1kg bags of Blackberries in the freezer.
    How about a rub down some time after a long run...

thank you Mr IDP for the bags of windfall....off to consult recipe books now

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    thank you Mr IDP for the bags of windfall....off to consult recipe books now
    Huge pan of Damson chutney on the go and started to prepare an evening meal that can consumed by wife and Daughter after badminton and me after my run later tonight.... Moroccan Lamb and Damson Turine..(supposed to be date/apricot and prune)

we'll be making damson chutney on Friday....what vinegar do you use IDP?

What were the other things you passed us? Zephr thinks he knows but isn't sure!

Master

Hmmm sound lovely, can you bring a jar to the BBQ?

I can and I will....1) if it turns out ok, 2) question for IDP - can you eat it straight away? 3) if I remember!! (best remind me)

I had the same problem two years ago when I discovered some amazing wild damsons as I was cycling to a timetrial. I picked about 10lbs of them and put them in my panniers and then had to cycle up Wass Bank (a very steep hill). It didn't help that I'd underestimated how far the time trial was and I'd already cycled 25m before I had to run 2m at the top. Anyway...

...damson gin is good, same as sloe gin except with damsons (i prick a few almonds and stick them in with the mix for added flavour). Damson chutney is lovely (although mine always has a few lurking stones in it) and damson brandy made using a damson syrup is the bee's knees.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'