Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sterilising water on the hill

Water Purifier?

Anyone know anything about these things?

A wild camping friend of mine was horrified when I told him that I just drink straight out of streams. He said I should get one of these (although I wouldn't be planning to use it during a race .) At around 80 quid they seem expensive; are they at all necessary or are they just a gimmick?

Cheers.
    CH.

oops... forgot the link:

http://www.steripen.com/
    Last edited by crowhill; 07-08-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Re: Water Purifier?

I've never had a problem drinking from a stream - as long as it is fast running and there is nothing lying dead a few yards upstream - naturally chilled and fresh.

novice

drinkin from streams

Just reading bout the kinder dozen and in the first thread Geoff talks of drinking from streams in the Peak District http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...t=Kinder+Dozen.

Is it generally ok to drink from fast flowing streams in the peak/lake district? How do you know there isn’t a dead sheep in the water up stream? Isn’t there the potential for some nasty stomach bugs?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: drinkin from streams

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Just reading bout the kinder dozen and in the first thread Geoff talks of drinking from streams in the Peak District http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...t=Kinder+Dozen.

Is it generally ok to drink from fast flowing streams in the peak/lake district? How do you know there isn’t a dead sheep in the water up stream? Isn’t there the potential for some nasty stomach bugs?
    All part of the fun!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Is it generally ok to drink from fast flowing streams in the peak/lake district?

yep

How do you know there isn’t a dead sheep in the water up stream?

you don't, have a quick look upstream and then go for it

Isn’t there the potential for some nasty stomach bugs?

yep

In reality though the chances of stomach bugs are low. I am probably more likely to get the trots from drinking from my camelbak than a stream

In areas like Kinder where there is no human habitation or enclosed livestock upstream the risk is very low. Bugs from dead sheep don't travel far downstream - my wife's geography lecturer quoted a figure, can't remember it exactly but it was much less than 100m.

Peak and lakes are slightly different

Peak- most fast flowing streams are ok. look at it, is it clear? taste it, ok then drink happily.

Don't drink water from below farmed area esp where animals are kept.

good water all round Kinder, Blackden-Fairbrook(gets low after prolonged dry spell)-Jaggers-Ladybooth-River Noe(bottom jacobs ladder)- River Kinder (below downfall)- Upper and Nether Red brook( you may need to drop down)
    Spring below Crookstone Knoll.

Lakes
    As above fast flowing above farmed areas etc. BUT

do not drink from streams that flow out of Tarns. esp Styhead, Angle Tarn. these are become poluted due to the number of high level campers that use them to camp nearby, both from food and toilet waste.

when in dire need whether racing or at leisure i]ll take the risk..and have done so at home and abroad...

the delight of drenching oneself in a cool stream and drinking it in when dehydrating and suffering is an awesome experience only marred if death follows

I always drink from streams higher up, in the dales anyway, and seem to survive okay.

A word of warning though - I was recently turned inside out for a week by a bout of gastroentiritis and I almsot certainly got that from swimming in Coniston Water in heavy rain, following a week of dry weather. In those conditions apparently its common for tummy bugs to be picked up.

i agree with the drinking from falls/streams higher than where farm animals graze. Did drink some water first that appeared slightly brown in colour, excellent laxative that was

At the LAMM, the stream was clear, ice cold and had fresh water shrimp in it, so got some extra protein
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound