Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: sterilising water on the hill

Re: drinkin from streams

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Peak and lakes are slightly different

good water all round Kinder, Blackden-Fairbrook(gets low after prolonged dry spell)-Jaggers-Ladybooth-River Noe(bottom jacobs ladder)- River Kinder (below downfall)- Upper and Nether Red brook( you may need to drop down)
    Spring below Crookstone Knoll.

You ought to produce a little map of these springs Ian. I remember you taking us to one on the Edale Skyline recce earlier this year that I certainly wouldn't have found on my own
    Certainly be useful for the Kinder killer (and dozen) which I still haven't got round to doing yet

I drink from streams all the time (not just in dire need), mainly to save having to actually carry so much water, but also seems to taste better

even if it's a bit brown I don't let that put me off (so long as it's a peaty area!)

not come down with any bugs yet in the 3 years I've been at this fell running lark
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    I drink from streams all the time (not just in dire need), mainly to save having to actually carry so much water, but also seems to taste better

even if it's a bit brown I don't let that put me off (so long as it's a peaty area!)

not come down with any bugs yet in the 3 years I've been at this fell running lark
    Absolutely. I avoid drinking below:

1. Where farmers may have spread or sprayed anything, i.e any cultivated land.
    2. Where people are living/camping/may have been cr*pping (are these words filtered on here?). Sty Head Tarn, Malham Tarn are good examples of danger areas, particularly the latter!
    3. Where there are more than a few cattle.

Rotting sheep are theoretically a risk, but not much of one in practice.

Never been ill yet, & I've been drinking from streams for a long time.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

as others have said, although I would avoid drinking too much of the brown peaty water in areas like Kinder, all that peat can be bad for you.

I once drank from a clear fast flowing stream in Scotland, to then walk 100m upstream around a rocky bluff to see a dead sheep in full blown decomposition mode. The nasuea I felt had nothing to do with the water and everything to do with the sight (!) and I didn't go down with anything.

Kat

Only ever known one person to fall ill after drinking from a stream and that was my mates running partner in last years RAB

He fell ill following the event and was hospitalised when he suffered a bout of sickness, diarrhoea and he started pissing blood.

If I recall correctly, the doctors speculated that the bug(s) had entered his system due to the fact he had recently finished a course of antibiotics. The antibiotics had killed the “good bacteria” in his gut and allowed a bug(s) to infect him

My mate was unaffected even though they both shared a water bottle filled from streams and drank from the same streams
    I've learnt so much from my mistakes, I'm actually thinking about making a few more.

Manx streams are often brownish red in colour. I'm sure my old man told me that was just iron in the water when i was a kid. Often peaty soils. There were big problems at one of the Meridas i did last year with water contaminated with animal waste. Lots of people were sick. Luckily i had no problems. Don't drink from stagnant pools or the out flow from tarns. Have a little sip first for a taste check before you start gulping!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Love the water in the Howgills - someone should bottle it!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Love the water in the Howgills - someone should bottle it!
    They do, WT, its passed off as a certain T Taylors brand

It's not just sheep muck and dead woollies that you need to worry about - drinking water below sough level (which can be quite high) in mining regions can do you some pretty nasty damage long term.

There was an article in Trail about water quality a few years back, they tested water from high up in lakes etc and they found high levels of E coli and Giardia. Both these cause nasty D+V. However i have drunk from gills and becks for years without any problems, beats carrying several kilos of weight in water. D+V is an easy way to lose some weight!