Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: sterilising water on the hill

Re: Drinking from streams...

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    I drink from streams in Lancashire but wouldn't think of drinking from streams in Yorkshire.
    Streams in Lancashire are a bit off putting to be honest

I drink from streams all the time but usually when up high and avoid any standing water in tarns or lakes.
    Last edited by Stolly; 10-05-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Re: Drinking from streams...

I'v drank from streams high up ever since i was a nipper,it's never done me any harm.itl be alot cleaner than the stuff that comes outa yer tap full of chemicals:thumbup:

sterilising water on the hill

Does anyone sterilise water which they get from pools/ streams on the hill? When I was out on a long hot day (week last Thursday) I reluctantly filled up my bottle from a few still pools and later on in the day began retching violently... I guess it could have been the heat as it was a very sunny and quite hot day, or poor food management... would be interested in your thoughts. Cheers,

Re: sterilising water on the h

I don't sterilise what I drink on the fells, but make sure that I'm drinking from free flowing streams running over rocky beds, not still pools. I haven't come unstuck yet.

Quote Originally Posted by simon cox View Post
    Does anyone sterilise water which they get from pools/ streams on the hill? When I was out on a long hot day (week last Thursday) I reluctantly filled up my bottle from a few still pools and later on in the day began retching violently... I guess it could have been the heat as it was a very sunny and quite hot day, or poor food management... would be interested in your thoughts. Cheers,
    2 previous threads on this, all you need to know is on there I would imagine...

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ht=clean+water

May be a mod could bring them all together

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ams#post341699

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    2 previous threads on this, all you need to know is on there I would imagine...

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ht=clean+water

May be a mod could bring them all together

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ams#post341699
    Just a thought for all you hardy runners. this recent snow has killed a lot of sheep, there are carcasses all over, I've counted 15 or so in the last few days, counted 10 more last weekend. so take more care than usual for a few weeks.

Just a thought for all you hardy runners. this recent snow has killed a lot of sheep, there are carcasses all over, I've counted 15 or so in the last few days, counted 10 more last weekend. so take more care than usual for a few weeks.
    excellent point - well done

They just make the water tastier. I've never met anyone who's got poisoned from drinking from the fells. My rule of thumb has always been it'll be OK as long as you're above human habitation/camps/treated fields/cattle. The odd sheep carcase is neither here nor there. It's people & chemicals that you've got to be wary of. (In the UK, Alps, Pyrenees etc - can't comment about further afield).
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    They just make the water tastier. I've never met anyone who's got poisoned from drinking from the fells. My rule of thumb has always been it'll be OK as long as you're above human habitation/camps/treated fields/cattle. The odd sheep carcase is neither here nor there. It's people & chemicals that you've got to be wary of. (In the UK, Alps, Pyrenees etc - can't comment about further afield).
    Depends where the carcass is and how the water is moving, by the side of a stream, 20m away fast flowing you should be ok. slowing moving with the sheep floating in the water might be interesting....

there was excellent places to take a skinny dip on saturday coming back up from seathwaite

I drink of the land but i know where to get it from

I had a situation saturday where i came past the tarn there had been 15 walkers walked over the ice to get to the piece of land in the middle of tarn i had my ice axe to hand so tempting