Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinesio/Kinetic Taping

Kinesio/Kinetic Taping

6 weeks ago on the first recce of the Yorkshireman marathon, i fell and tore my ankle ligaments. Cue one badly swollen foot, terrible bruising halfway up my leg and indescribable pain. I ran the marathon today albeit slowly but my main goal achieved was no pain at all!! i had my leg/foot strapped with Kinetic taping and cannot recommend it enough. has anyone else had such good results? Is it hit and miss?

Re: Kinesio/Kinetic Taping

I find it pretty good for a torn/ragged meniscus and a separated shoulder...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

What is it? Pardon my ignorance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    i think its an ancient Japanese technique, and think its when the shaft of a tendon is rubbing the tendon causing pain etc, (kinetic taping is the flourescent sticky tape sometimes seen on athletes) the flexible tape is stuck on to pull the shaft away stopping any friction and allowing it to heal quickly.
    I may have got that all completley wrong but its hard to take these things in whilst talking and running/mountain biking!

(i must also point out that in no way do i consider myself an athlete!):thumbup:

When I tape up my knee I suddenly look pretty pro Good enough reason for me to use it
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Hanneke-it will take a whole lot more than some sticky tape to make me look a pro-although i admit dissapointment that my socks mainly concealed the effect!

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Kinesio tapping was developed by Dr. Kenzo Kase nearly 30 years ago (1973) and is designed to facilitate the bodys natural healing processes while allowing support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting the body's range of motion. The 4 main effects are to normalise muscle function, improve lymphatic and blood flow, reduce pain and to correct joint malalignment and improve proprioception. This is taken from the opening introduction of my kinesio taping work books issued when I trained in this technique. I do use taping at work and have had a mixed bag of results but generally found in the paediatric population, the upper limb resposds better, but I have also had good lower limb results.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Kinesio tapping was developed by Dr. Kenzo Kase nearly 30 years ago (1973) and is designed to facilitate the bodys natural healing processes while allowing support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting the body's range of motion. The 4 main effects are to normalise muscle function, improve lymphatic and blood flow, reduce pain and to correct joint malalignment and improve proprioception. This is taken from the opening introduction of my kinesio taping work books issued when I trained in this technique. I do use taping at work and have had a mixed bag of results but generally found in the paediatric population, the upper limb resposds better, but I have also had good lower limb results.
    I doubt it alters blood/lymphatic flow, but it will increase sensory input from the taped areas - proprioception - and will therefore alter and potentially limit movement/muscle function and this in turn may reduce pain/accelerate healing. I have not used it myself but fellow runners have and there seems no doubt it helps.

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Know what you mean Mike T; we had a trainer from kentucky who was quite passionate about the benefits but you can imagine how that went down in a room of cynical physiotherapist wanting to see the evidence, but saying that good results gained in my clinics.

I do have an list of articles / evidence provided on the course; a couple of years old now but I can let you have a copy if you are interested.

With regards

Gaz

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Know what you mean Mike T; we had a trainer from kentucky who was quite passionate about the benefits but you can imagine how that went down in a room of cynical physiotherapist wanting to see the evidence, but saying that good results gained in my clinics.

I do have an list of articles / evidence provided on the course; a couple of years old now but I can let you have a copy if you are interested.

With regards

Gaz
    Thanks Gaz, that would be of interest.