Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenix HP11 head torch

Fellhound

Fenix HP11 head torch

Has anyone got a Fenix HP11 head torch? Having looked at the market it seems better value than the offerings from LED Lenser, which seem to get good reviews in this price range.

The HP11 has a max of 277 lumens - better than either of the Lenser offerings and falls between the two of them on price.

However, I notice that the top “Turbo” setting on the HP10 model is only like the Petzl Myo’s ineffectual boost mode and can’t be used continuously. There’s no mention of this on the HP11 information but I’m a bit wary as the next setting down is only 130 lumens and that’s really not much these days.

Can anyone confirm that the 277 lumens is available as a continuous setting on the HP11?

http://www.fenixlight.com/product.asp?classid=16

Fellhound

Re: Fenix HP11 head torch

Hmmmm, looks like this is a lamp that everyone has studiously ignored. So, if exclusivity is impportant this is the one to have! But it isn't so I'm no nearer really...

Looks like I'll just have to buy one and provide a service to the forum by reviewing it.

I've been looking at one of those as well. None of the reviews I've seen mentions the time out on turbo mode so I've assumed there isn't one. Would be interested in your view from a fell running perspective when you get one. Seems like a reasonably priced light.

A friend of mine had the fenix HP10. It was good, but nothing compared to the Magicshine 900 lumen headtorch which I picked up off ebay for a tenner extra. It's like a piece of the sun attached to your head!

Fellhound

Ah, but the HP10's maximum continuous setting was only 120 Lumens. Although 225 Lumens was the "max" it would revert to the 120 Lumens setting after 3 minutes to avoid overheating.

The HP11 will run continuously at it's maximum setting (277 Lumens) so it's MUCH brighter than the HP10. Not as bright as the Magic Shine but I avoided buying one of those because of doubts over reliability (see the Head Torch recommendations thread for confirmation...)

My HP11 will be here in a few days so I'll give you my impressions then, compared to my existing "collection" of headtorches (Petzl Myo XP, Petzl Duo14, Nightsearcher (191 Lumens) and old-tech Silva 480 20w halogen)

Fellhound

First impressions of the HP11 (£55 from UK distributor or about £41 from Hong Kong via eBay):

It is quite compact and lightweight. It’s lighter than my Petzl Duo and not much heavier than the Myo XP.

Build quality seems good; switches etc feel robust and the materials used seem to be good and solid.

Operation is simple; just two buttons, one for power setting and one for mode. Simple but effective guard tabs over the buttons to prevent inadvertent switching on when carrying it around in a kit bag.

Max (‘Turbo’) setting is very bright (277 Lumens). Puts the Duo14LED and the Myo XP completely in the shade and is noticeably better than the 191 Lumen Nightsearcher (An ‘in-the-field comparison between the Nightsearcher and a Hope Vision 1 last Winter showed there was almost nothing to choose on power or beam length but the Nightsearcher had the advantage of a diffuser – which the Hope needs but hasn’t got).

The Fenix has a clip on diffuser which works well though it produces a bright rim around the light which could be distracting. Fitting the diffuser the other way up may solve this.

The Turbo setting can be used continuously but the next setting down (133 Lumens) is probably bright enough for many situations.

It takes a while to sort out the head harness straps after unpacking the lamp – it’s easy to initially think the head-top trap is way too short but once you’ve figured it out it all works fine. The buckles etc are definitely not up to Petzl levels of quality though.

Overall, I’m very pleased. I’ll update further when I’ve tested it properly on a run (which might be a while yet.)

Thanks for the report and looking forward to updates. I have the HP10 and found it to be sufficiently bright but too narrow a beam. I have and still use the Petzl RXP but have concerns about longevity. If the HP11 gives a good view and not just a tunnel, it sounds like a good option for the price.

Fellhound

It seems to give a fairly decent spread, even without the diffuser. As mentioned, the diffuser does create a distracting bright 'edge' just in your peripheral vision though it is better with the diffuser the other way up (with the pivot at the bottom) a small peice of black tape would solv the issue (or wearing it over a peaked cap!) but I may also try it out without the diffuser in place.

Watch this space...

Fellhound

See this link for an excellent review of the HP11:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-in-Four-Parts

Thanks to John Gilbert for pointing me in the direction of this....

Even though I had an HP10 and was very happy with it couldn't resist buying an HP11.

It's not been used properly yet but definitely seems a good upgrade from the HP10 in terms of light output, modes and buttons. All very well put together apart from the headband (Fenix just can't seem to get these right so replaced it with a headband from on old torch).

Running from Dollar at 6pm so be using it tonight.