Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salomon Speedcross 3 CS

Salomon Speedcross 3 CS

Go Outdoors are doing these at £50 from the 26th of Sept. I paid £90 for my last pair of Inov-8 Roclite 312's. I love them, but surely it's worth a punt on these ? I could get 2 pairs for the same price as the 312's. Has anybody out there got/tried these ?

Re: Salomon Speedcross 3 CS

Yes I got them and use them, there very comfortable and they have a close fit, which i like, they don't have as much grip as baregrips or mudclaws, but a lot more grip than my flyrocs. I like them very much, and if you can get them for 50 then I would say thats a bargain. Am hoping ill get some use out of them over winter with a pair of microspikes as they seem to be more substantially built then many inov8 shoes, ive used. The only negative being that they seem to more raised of the ground at the heel which on steep technical descents can feel a little well 'hairy'.

Great assesment, cheers. Think I'll take a gamble & get 2 pairs !

I've been using Speedcross 1s and 2s for years , since they first came out. Probably on my 6th and 7th pairs. Excellent for 2/3 season use though as it says above they are pretty scary on fast slippy descents. Had a lively moment descending wet chalk in them this lunchtime as it happens - I think the small studs encourage a greasiness feel in those conditions, possibly linked to the high heel. Despite that one drawback I find them great, never had a blister in them and easy to run on your toes. I buy a size larger BTW to allow for the narrowness of French feet in their design - seems to work fine.

For wetter work I go for inov8 212s - lower heel cup and better grip, plus they drain better I think.

Hope this helps.

saw the go outdoors offer myself,don't need any new shoes but at that price are they worth buying for longer races and training in to replace my roclite 320's when they leave the building?

Cheers Harrier, that does help. They're for long, slow runs, so by the sound of it would be fine. As I say, at £50 as opposed to £90, they're worth a crack !

The speedcross 3 have a lower heel cup than speedcross 2, the diff is down to 9 mm now. They have also done something with the pattern of the sole and it is said to have better grip now (not on wet limestone i guess).

Quote Originally Posted by persan View Post
    The speedcross 3 have a lower heel cup than speedcross 2, the diff is down to 9 mm now. They have also done something with the pattern of the sole and it is said to have better grip now (not on wet limestone i guess).
    I can testify to the speedcross3`s improved grip etc over the speedcross2, the lugs are bigger and spaced slightly further apart...

Heres a little photo of speedcross3 tread next to X-Talon 212`s..

Attachment 5097

Jez

I've had plenty of Speedcross over recent years, and have posted before that they suit me. I have even done Wasdale (on a dry day) in the 2s.

Not great on a steep contour, but doesn't sound like that will worry you too much.

I didn't use them on the CCC this time. The sole definitely bit back in the latter stages of my 2010 effort. Went for the Salomon S Lab XT Wings 3 which have been brilliant. An almost smooth sole but with oddly good grip, even on steep grass.

I can run downhill pretty quick in them unless its muddy. But I've discovered over the years that speed downhill doesn't have as much to do with what's on your feet as with your attitude of mind and body position.

Still running on the Moor in the S Labs this week.

So, go for it.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

What do people think about the size of the speedcross 3s, ive found that if i am an 11.5uk in Inov8s then i would need a 12 in the salomon, the sizing does seem a bit bizarre.