Thread: Socks 'n kit

Socks 'n kit

Hi All,

I have worked my way though loads of threads but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I plan to run Edale Skyline and do some long winter runs possibly in snow. I'm a little concerned about my feet.
    I currently run in Hilly Twin Skin socks but I'm not sure they are the best thing to wear if I'm out for a 6 hour training run.
    Now I've looked at Sealskinz but I'm not totally convinced. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions on a decent shower proof/ wind proof fleece for running in?

Cheers

Super Moderator

Re: Socks 'n kit

I'm proper nesh but rarely get cold feet in any of Pete Bland Running Bear or the navy-coloured Hilly wool socks

Unless you're planning on some serious winter weather you're probably better off looking at a layered system rather than a fleece. It's rare I run in more than a Helly l/s thermal, maybe a wicking t-shirt and either a Pertex jacket or a waterproof. Even in very cold mountain conditions I'd only add a very light 100-weight fleece
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I've done the High Peak Marathon and recce's thereof in effing mental conditions and sealskin socks are very good. The first time I ran the HPM one of my team, bonkers over the top I think, went as far as running in socks within scuba diving booties within fell shoes (that must have been at least one size up). I don't think you especially need anything other than 'normal' fell running socks for the Edale Skyline to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    ..... running in socks within scuba diving booties within fell shoes (that must have been at least one size up)
    Alright, that really IS over the top I was going to say that a good application of vaseline on my toes along with Hilly X-Static socks works for me .....
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners