Thread: Trainer sizing ?

Trainer sizing ?

Are fell trainers generally meant to be worn a little tighter than normal road ones, If so whats the reason ?
    Ive got a pair of Walsh's and find they fit my feet perfectly at size 8 and are very comfortable but was then wondering if should they be this comfortable, shouldnt they be a bit tight, dont get me wrong they are not loose in any way ?

Ive also got a pair of Inov8 330 but this time in 7.5 as 8 was clearly too big. Trouble is my left foot is smaller and and i found a pair of 7's was way too tight.

Would you rather go tight and a little uncomfortable or just go for the, if they fit and are comfortable then there the ones ?

Cheers

Paul

Re: Trainer sizing ?

Hi Paul,

When I bought my first fell shoes I was advised in the shop to go for a size smaller than my road shoes.
    Actual shoe size 9
    Road shoe size 10
    So my fell shoes were a size 9

Now this worked well until I started running longer races. I was constantly losing both big toe nails. They would turn black and fall off.

So I now run in a size 10 fell shoe (Inov8 Mudclaw 333).
    I recently ran the Totley Exterminator and they felt fine. No slip issues (foot in shoe). I would however perhaps be tempted to go down to a 9.5 size with a thinner sock. I currently wear hilly twin skin which are quite thick.

Hope this helps a little.

Super Moderator

Paul, my right foot is maybe 1/3 of a size smaller than my left. Whenever I buy running shoes I try the right on and if it fits then the left has to take it's chance. If the left is perfect the right will be too small. Fell shoes, like any other shoes, should fit correctly and I'd suggest too big is no smaller problem than too small. Try on as many different brands / models as you can and stick to what fits. Don't worry what 'size' the manufacturer describes them as! Oh, and one last point if I were you i wouldn't bother going the the shop where you bought your first fell shoes again!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

My feet were measured at size 7.5. I've got a pair of Walsh Spirit Lites in size 7. Very comfortable, size 8 was too big for me..