Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Hamstring

Re: Hamstring

I tried a very slow, gentle mile on the flat last night, with no stretching first. No trouble from the hamstring at that pace, but I need to keep self-disciplined and stay slow for at least another week or so. I'm going out in a minute to have another walk/jog.
    Hope your hamstring feels OK in the morning, PB.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

as mike t said you should never do static stretching of muscles before a race or anytime. do dynamic stretches to warm up properly and make sure you stretch down after exercise.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Master

Formal dynamic stretching is of course done in slow motion.

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    I went to a sports physio after I did it, just to confirm what it was and the best way to tackle it. She did all the massage and ultrasound, but she recommended light stretching after a light warm-up, and general stretching to aid recovery. (As well as heat/ice, massage, and all that)
    I always thought getting a massage from a lady called Candice would be an altogether more pleasurable experience..!
    Was reading through this thread after a minor strain at bottom of left hamstring but which hasn't affected my running thankfully. Anyway I had to chuckle at PB's comment here as my physio at Horsforth Sports Injury Clinic http://www.physioworld.co.uk/ is 'a lady called Candice' and has recently regularly given me a massage - calf massage guys!!! as well as ultrasound, laser & acupuncture treatment for achilles issues.

Hi MT and all, I've got another injury now which happened a while ago and won't go away. I'd just about got over the hamstring and was building back up again, lost a couple of stone and then tripped and did something else to the back of my leg. It doesn't feel like the hamstring injury did so I don't think it's that; from reading about it, it sonds like a sciatic thing, or piriformis. a dull ache, numbness in the leg, and pain when running - sometimes worse than others to the point where I can't run without hobbling. Not good, it's been dragging on a bit now too.
    I can't afford to keep going private to my girl Candice (:w00t:!) so I'm off to my GP in the hope that he'll refer me to a physio...

Super Moderator

Wondered where you'd got to t'other day p b. Hope you're back soon!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Cheers DT, I'm thinking it's on the mend so fingers crossed I'll be back before long. Meanwhile, just a few tentative plods across the top of Ilkley Moor for me.