Thread: Fell running course ?

Fell running course ?

Was gonna ask this in training but thought it more appropriate here. As I'm starting out I'd love to do some kind of course and was wondering if anyone runs em ?

I realise that the experienced on here might laugh at the idea of a course in fell running and would just tell me to get out there and join a club, well, i have done that, but I quite like the idea of doing a course as I tend to pick things up if I'm taught them by an experienced teacher. I have started to go out with my local club and really enjoy it, but I would also love to get away for a weekend with some like minded folk and be taught and shown. I could then get out there and build on what ive been taught.

What ya think ?

Paul
    Last edited by The Hat; 27-09-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Re: Fell running course ?

What about the FRA navigation course? I did the one in Elterwater a year or so ago and its a good chance to meet other fellrunners and learn some navigation skills at the same time (of course you actually need to practise them afterwards which is where I fail a bit!). The next one is in March at Kettlewell I believe so there is a bit of a wait. I had a really good laugh and the instructors have bags of experience and are very generous with their time and tips. In the meantime, maybe some other people on here know where you can go for fellrunning weekends. I know a really great runner that has just done the Transalpine Race and he offers weekends for runners, don't know if that would be your thing?
    http://www.jelleylegs.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
    Was gonna ask this in training but thought it more appropriate here. As I'm starting out I'd love to do some kind of course and was wondering if anyone runs em ?

I realise that the experienced on here might laugh at the idea of a course in fell running and would just tell me to get out there and join a club, well, i have done that, but I quite like the idea of doing a course as I tend to pick things up if I'm taught them by an experienced teacher. I have started to go out with my local club and really enjoy it, but I would also love to get away for a weekend with some like minded folk and be taught and shown. I could then get out there and build on what ive been taught.

What ya think ?

Paul
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post

What ya think ?

Paul
    besides Hes's excellent Nav course Idead what would you put on the things you would want to learn...

1) Kit/shoe choice.....please no one is asking about shes now......!!!!!!!
    2) Navigation
    3) ??

Contact your club secretary who will have details on coaching courses that are put on. The Fell and Endurance courses would be suitable and there are more options for the endurance one.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Contact your club secretary who will have details on coaching courses that are put on. The Fell and Endurance courses would be suitable and there are more options for the endurance one.
    I wouldn't have thought they would be at all.

Personally I'd only advise someone went out with an ML running guide. There's a few around, we run courses but IanDP, and I know others in dark peak who are ML's and good fell runners. They need to learn solid mountain craft combined with running experience, but the solid mountain/fell craft is by far the more important, so I'd personally expect someone to be ML qualified to guide on mountainous fell terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I wouldn't have thought they would be at all.

Personally I'd only advise someone went out with an ML running guide. There's a few around, we run courses but IanDP, and I know others in dark peak who are ML's and good fell runners. They need to learn solid mountain craft combined with running experience, but the solid mountain/fell craft is by far the more important, so I'd personally expect someone to be ML qualified to guide on mountainous fell terrain.
    I've been wondering for a while actually, does being an ML mean you're professionally qualified to take people out fell running? It's always sold as for "summer walking" but where does running stand on this? I'm thinking of doing mine next summer (if I manage to save up the money!).

He'll need a course on Guinness consumption too
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    I've been wondering for a while actually, does being an ML mean you're professionally qualified to take people out fell running? It's always sold as for "summer walking" but where does running stand on this? I'm thinking of doing mine next summer (if I manage to save up the money!).
    ML stands for Mountain Leader, It is a professional qualification and you can extend it to winter ML, MI (Mountain Instructor) MIC (coach) Summer Walk leader is what it says. low level, less technical, path etc.

Basically its a 2x5 days, the first is for training and the second is an assessment. But you have to show experience, Responsibility, group management, a higher level of navigational skills, awareness of weather and terrain/hazzards/steep ground/water etc, medical, emergency procedures, expedition skills etc....

It's quite in depth. You also have to log all your long days on the hill with groups, personal, winter etc to show your experience. You need a minimum standard before you can take an assessment.

If you can do a ML it's much more useful and more widely reconised.

An ML isn't a fellrunning award, it's an award for leading groups in the hills. If as Iain says IF the ML is a fellrunner then this brings the two together perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    Its as good an award as there is. We thought about not going the ML route but the ML route provides insurance and also the award is very comprehensive. There's things we do differently to walkers, not much but the nav is different. Runners really need more relocation skills..i.e. they normally only nav when lost...

We make some changes to what the MLTA's advise, probably carry less kit etc, but that comes with speed and also accepting turning back is a valid option.

The level of nav required is great. It really does give you more confidence.

Re taking people out. Yeah. It depends what you want to offer. What your niche is? tours? nav training for runners? MM prep? race prep? route advice? Its not easy getting work, you have to market, but a lot of that is done by racing and doing OK and then just free articles etc.