Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: blisters

blisters

did a quick search which didnt turn up much. what is the best way to deal with blisters ? i have been popping them and then cutting the dead skin off which is obviously a little sore for a few days so was wondering what better ways there are.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Re: blisters

If you like pain get some tinc benz, that will sort em :-))

Or surgical spirit, says do not apply to broken skin, ignore that, slap it on then peel yourself from the roof!
    Hills and Guinness!

sounds good, i like pain thats why i fell run. ill give it a go and let you no the results when im down
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Once you've got em sorted keep dabbing the feet with surgical spirit, hardens the skin, and apply vaseline before you run, not had blisters for a while now, not even a hot spot at the Lakeland 50 this year. Finding a shoe that suits you goes a long way as well, trial and error, what's good for one ain't good for another. Good luck Reuben.
    Hills and Guinness!

yeah know what you mean about the shoes. my racing flats are just slightly narrow which has caused the blisters but got to wait to be paid off a job before i can buy some new shiny ones. may get some nb minimus because all the reviews say they have a nice wide forefoot. plus i dont like built up trainers. thanks for the advice

A far less painful but decidedly messier alternative to the surgical spirits is honey (seriously) - for the healing part only, won't toughen up the feet after, stick to the surgical spirits for that.

Like so many things this is an individual thing but, for me, don't cut the skin off - just pierce with a needle in one or two spots (unless it's a blood blister which you don't pierce) and squeeze out the fluid and if you thread the needle (reason for two piercings) leave the cotton in overnight to act as a wick to drain off excess fluid. Then tape over. I alos think Compeed is good. Vaseline is good as a preventative, as Steve says, especially in wet British climes (blisters are damp + friction + heat (caused by the friction)) although in hot weather baby powder probably better. I used baby powder in Marathon des Sables x2 ( THE blister university) and in my second one didn't have any blisters afer seven days (this is very rare for anybody in the MDS). Personally, I, don't like the surgical spirit method - yes, it hardens the skin but only the outer layer. If you're lucky you'll get away with it but if you have a particularly arduous trip and the conditions for blisters are right then you run the risk of getting a blister at a lower level that you'll need a pneumatic drill to get to instead of a needle. Tough skin is pliable and conditioned not calloused and hard. The best book on the market IMO is Fixing your Feet by Jon Vonhof. It's the bible of foot care and he's not prescriptive - he offers lot's of alternatives because everyones different and each to their own - you have to find what works for you.

your'e all crackers.

If its not causing you any grief and it still intact leave it alone. It's natures way of stopping an infection. after a few days new skin will grow underneath and the blister will burst when it's good and ready. if you have to burst it try and keep it clean, it is an open wound when all said and done Compeed is good . If you really are a glutten for punishment try lemon juice..... only kidding. Mix with gin and drink lots, then you won't care about the blister......
    Last edited by IanDarkpeak; 29-09-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Blisters - I'm rarely blister free and whilst running they often form, rub raw or pop before I'm home.

I've tried countless remedies. If I wear compeed the blisters form under it and around the edges. If I toughen the skin with surgical spirit I get deeper blisters under the thicker skin. I've tried talc, vasolene and other lubricants, various tapes, all kinds of socks including twin skin which made the blisters considerably worse. By chance I discovered I get less blisters if my feet are wet (a gift from soggy mountain marathons!).

When it comes to shoes I have to check the insides for any kind of ridges or stitching (you'd be amazed how many pairs have seams and stitching in places likely to rub) I've tried wide, medium and narrow shoes - it doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't usually get blisters on my heels but Inov8 have changed that for me.

If I've been out on the fell and have raw blisters I treat them with iodine then leave them open to the air as much as possible. It hurts like fury but not for long and definitely promotes the fastest healing.

I'm currently recovering from an operation and only able to manage short gentle walks. Despite this I discovered a new blister on the underside of my foot two days ago. I've no idea what caused that one but it prompted me to read this thread and post here.

I'm going to get a copy of 'Fixing your Feet by Jon Vonhof' - thanks Nigel - and am going to try the threaded needle trick for the ones that haven't popped. There is still hope that a remedy may yet be found!
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog