Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: blisters

Re: blisters

Im with IDP on this one.
    If you're out running and you get a blister, keep going and ignore it. There is a lovely, palpable sense of "aaaaah" when it finally pops of its own accord.

If you find one at the end of the day, I just pop the thing and ignore it from then on, though there have been a fair few times when I've only noticed that Ive had a blister by inspecting my feet in the shower, only to find a patch of skin coming off where a blister has come, been and healed. Maybe Ive just got a bit too used to them. I dunno.

For what its worth, when I ran in mudroc 260s and they created the worst blisters known to man on my heels, I just ended up a)hammering the crap out of the heel cups and b) wearing pre-emptive compeed on my heels (best when heated up on a cup of tea before applying) that seemed to sort them out.

then again, each to their own.

I used to harden my feet with surgical spirit but my understanding is that this is no longer recommended. Nowadays I keep my feet soft with foot lotions of various sorts and actually get less blisters. I also don't pop blisters unless they are too uncomfortable to keep going with. As soon as you burst them you are open to infection. Good socks are important and I use the Pete Bland ones which are reasonably priced.

Bodyglide is the best thing I have found as a preventative measure. It is better than Vaseline as it does not attract dirt and doesn’t wash away with sweat or water. It worked well for me on the TMB. One of the types has an SPF of 25 as well. The only downside is that it is expensive. I only use it for long distance runs.
    Lancslad

well the blisters are healing nicely. to keep them soft and not cracking im finding the best stuff is my climb on balm which is for sore hands after climbing. its got some good stuff in and smells nice too.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Master and MR

Both my heels were hanging off in the summer.My solutionJust do another race and descend on your toes. Its called character building

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Both my heels were hanging off in the summer.My solutionJust do another race and descend on your toes. Its called character building
    are you sure your not a Yorkshireman. )

Lanisoh cream is a good preventative if you have a blister on the way, again rather expensive (unless you've a tube or 2 left over from a new baby) Pretty similar to bodyglide, just in a thick gel rather than a stick.

Another Yorkshireman:

Harden your feet by running alot.

Leave blisters alone if you can. If they're too painful, prick them and leave the skin on. Saves buying plasters.

Err, that's it.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I don't often get blisters, but occasionally I get one on a heel from my Walshes; and with current ground conditions, Walshes are the only footwear I own (apart from walking boots) that will ensure that I stay upright going through the mud.

Anyway, on today's walk (2 hours 40 minutes, so nothing excessive) a blister formed and burst, leaving me with a tender, red patch nearly 2cm wide (and some loose skin hanging off). I will leave it open to the air as much as possible, to give it the best chance of healing, but I'm sure I will want to put on the Walshes again before it's fully healed. Any recommendations on preventing further damage?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1jLe2lm_hI

She knows a bit about blisters.