Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wave Harrier or NB MT101?

Wave Harrier or NB MT101?

Has anyone run in both the Mizuno Wave Harrier and the New Balance 101? I'm after a trail shoe for longer runs on the south west coast path and similar trails. I'm used to minimalist running so am not worried about cushioning, but I do want reasonable grip and for them to be quick drying, low to the ground and durable. They'll be my go-to shoe for muddy trail running. I've got a dedicated fell shoe (NB RX Terrain - they're still going strong!), but would want a trail shoe to be reasonable for short stretches on the road too. Any thoughts??

BTW. The NB factory shop in Shap has the 101 on sale for £25 at the moment - absolute bargain!

Just for info, I do all my easy recovery runs barefoot or in huaraches, and use Asics Hyperspeeds for long road runs and speed sessions, and really want to keep up with the minimalist theme for a trail running shoe.

Re: Wave Harrier or NB MT101?

If you like your shoes made by children (nice finger-work) then go with the WH or NB offerings, otherwise buy British, i.e. Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by theitmancometh View Post
    If you like your shoes made by children (nice finger-work) then go with the WH or NB offerings, otherwise buy British, i.e. Walsh
    I think you'll find Walshes trail shoes are made in china, and it's only the fell shoes that are still made in blighty.
    "That was the night everything changed"

And back to the OP's request. Neither of those shoes are particularly minimal, and there appears to be a bit of a gap in the market for a minimal trail shoe that can cope with mud, current favourites the minims trail and trail glove would have you on your arse when it gets muddy. Not sure what to recommend to be honest. forumites such as twister, and bfluc maybe able to come up with something.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Super Moderator

Are Walsh Raids still available?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    I think you'll find Walshes trail shoes are made in china, and it's only the fell shoes that are still made in blighty.
    Wasnt it stated that the fell shoe parts are manufactured & cut out in ASIA then sent to UK for stitching and glueing ?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Lad View Post
    Wasnt it stated that the fell shoe parts are manufactured & cut out in ASIA then sent to UK for stitching and glueing ?
    'Stated' by who, and where?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Don't shoot me down, but don't New Balance manufacture (at least to some extent) in the UK?

I have both these shoes but never worn the NBs despite having had them since April. saving them for something special. Loved the NB RX Terains but always found the WH a bit too loose somehow, maybe get a size smaller next time.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I am in no doubt as I have both shoes in service at the moment. NB 101 would be my choice. Low, light and plenty of grip for what you need. They are a fantastic shoe. I train in the lakes and yes in the mega wet they slip about a bit but I love them. I race in Xtalon 212 which feel the same but connect you to stuff like the Langdale Horseshoe more securely. Lots of people rate the Wave Harrier but I find it a bit clumpy. Of my six Fell shoes it doesn't get out much. (Wave Harrier, Xtalon, Salomon speedcross, Walsh PB, Adidas Kanadia Trail, and my everyday fave the NB 101.)

Given the low weight, and Henry's good feedback, I've gone with a pair of NB 101s. Looking forward to testing them out, and hopefully they'll be my shoe for the endurancelife south devon marathon next feb which is mostly on the south west coast path.

(I'll not get into the debate on where shoes are manufactured!!)