Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wave Harrier or NB MT101?

Re: Wave Harrier or NB MT101?

How many eyelets for the laces does the 101 have? I ask because I really like the grip on my NB 572s but I really dislike the fact they have only four eyelets each side. That, combined with the tongue being too narrow (barely fills the gap between the uppers when I lace them) somehow makes them pretty uncomfortable across the top of the foot when done up.

7 each side and I use them all otherwise your foot can go forward onto the toes on steep descents. One word of warning; the sizing is slightly small and they are so comfortable in the shop it is easy to buy them too small.

BTW thanks for the tip off, I'm off to Shap today!
    Last edited by Henry Porter; 30-09-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydevon View Post
    Given the low weight, and Henry's good feedback, I've gone with a pair of NB 101s. Looking forward to testing them out, and hopefully they'll be my shoe for the endurancelife south devon marathon next feb which is mostly on the south west coast path.

(I'll not get into the debate on where shoes are manufactured!!)
    You won't go wrong with your 101s they're great shoes. They might not be minimal in stats but they're light, flexible and certainly feel more minimal tha they are. I think they feel very similar to x-talons.

For £25 I'd get two pairs!!!

Master

Forget the above and buy Saucony Peregrine instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Forget the above and buy Saucony Peregrine instead.
    Not sure I'd agree with the above. Had a pair, initially like them then they just got on my nerves after the second run. Took em back and exchanged for a pair of 285's which are far better imo. The 101 certainly isn't the shoe you said you wanted in your description, but i'm sure you'll be happy with it for £25!
    "That was the night everything changed"

Just got back with a pair of 101s for £25. However the jaunt cost £60 as they also have the Minimus for £35!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Not sure I'd agree with the above. Had a pair, initially like them then they just got on my nerves after the second run. Took em back and exchanged for a pair of 285's which are far better imo. The 101 certainly isn't the shoe you said you wanted in your description, but i'm sure you'll be happy with it for £25!
    Sorry it was probably a bit of an off the cuff statement, but I did the Ramsey recently in a pair of Peregrines wearing them straight from the box, as I liked them due to their lightness and I needed an emergency replacement for my old Highlanders. Thinking they might be Ok for one leg and I could change shoes at Fersit, I found the Peregrines to be superb and comfortable. i since worn them for flat grass speed sessions, trail running in The Peak and a BOFRA in yorkshire and for all disciplines they have yet to dissapoint. People though have warned me that the build quality can be a bit suspect. Just read Athletics weekly today and I see they vote Peregrines as their favourite trail shoe!

A better option to both the wave harrier and the NB 101, if you are looking for a semi-minimalist shoe which has got good levels of grip in mud, useful on road and will handle coastal path running is Inov 8 285.

It has less drop than the harrier and NB and with insoles out feels roomy and gives quite a decent bit of ground feel, although nothing like the trail gloves.

Personally I'm only interested in zero drop shoes now so I'm hoping that the VivoBarefoot Neo trail will be a good winter option...

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/eu/neo-trail-mens-8.html/

...But will have to wait until I've got a bit of cash spare for those, for the moment my trail gloves are doing well in wetter conditions.

Thanks Twister. Unfortunately my feet seem to be the wrong size for Inov-8 - size 11 is too big, and 10.5 is too small in the 295s! I might try on the Bare Grip though to see if the sizing is different for this shoe as it would make my ideal fell shoe.

I've seen a few reviews of the Neo Trail and it does look like its got a good sole. I'm certainly trending towards zero drop for everything too, my legs have never felt so good. My only gripe with Vivobarefoot and Merrell is that the minimalist shoes still cost a lot! I'm waiting for the New Balance MT00 which looks like a good alternative to the Merrell Trail Glove. I'm exited about the next few years and there is going to be more and choice for zero drop runners.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydevon View Post
    Thanks Twister. Unfortunately my feet seem to be the wrong size for Inov-8 - size 11 is too big, and 10.5 is too small in the 295s! I might try on the Bare Grip though to see if the sizing is different for this shoe as it would make my ideal fell shoe.

I've seen a few reviews of the Neo Trail and it does look like its got a good sole. I'm certainly trending towards zero drop for everything too, my legs have never felt so good. My only gripe with Vivobarefoot and Merrell is that the minimalist shoes still cost a lot! I'm waiting for the New Balance MT00 which looks like a good alternative to the Merrell Trail Glove. I'm exited about the next few years and there is going to be more and choice for zero drop runners.
    295's are sized very big, give the 285's a go they are a great shoe with a much better fit.
    "That was the night everything changed"