Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strength Training and Running

Strength Training and Running

If strength training is to be beneficial alongside high mileage or very demanding runing programmes, I have come to the conclusion (all be it a little against the grain) that you simple cannot strength train conventially, i.e 2 sets to failure. I am convinced that the key is to work with very heavy sets of between 2-5 rep max. However and here is the unconvential part, don't go to failure, finish the set before this. This way you still get the neuromuscular stimulus without the massive fatigue hangover that eats into good running training.

What do you think and what experiences have you got of this?
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Re: Strength Training and Runn

I don't think the knee joints are designed for 2-3 rep squats, sounds like a recipe for a knee replacement later in life to me. Anyway, Daz h says just running is the best way which is good enough for me.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

when strength training you shouldnt do it till failure, instead use a pyramid system where start on say two reps then build up to probably six and then work your way back down to two. strength training should never be more than 8 reps and five is considered the ideal amount.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

to my mind the best way to train being a runner is running

"When strength is the goal you must lift heavy. I prefer three reps per set with the heaviest load you can handle. The overall volume of the workout must be kept low so your body can recover within 48-72 hours. For rest, I recommend following a circuit style of training because by the time you repeat an exercise you’ve had a few minutes of rest.

One big misconception about rest periods is that they must be passive. To get three minutes of rest between sets of deadlifts you shouldn’t just sit around for three minutes because it’s a waste of time. Furthermore, sitting down for minutes at a time doesn’t help. You could be training upper body movements during that time without any negative impact on your recovery between sets of deadlifts.

Here’s a sample workout for strength.

Load: 3RM for all sets. You can adjust the weight up or down with each round, the weight doesn’t have to be static. It should be the heaviest load you can handle for 3 reps.
    1A Upper body pull for 3 reps
    Rest 45 seconds
    1B Upper body push for 3 reps
    Rest 45 seconds
    1C Squat or deadlift for 3 reps
    Rest 45 seconds and repeat 1A-1C twice more (3 rounds total)"

From Chad Waterbury, a man who know's a thing or two when it comes to the weights.

This may also be worth a read - http://chadwaterbury.com/neuro-muscu...-nmd-for-legs/

Now i'm sure numerous forumites will disagree with what chad as to say, and there are many schools of thought when it comes to strength training. I've seen numerous people use his programmes with excellent results, and therefore I'd be happy to use them.
    Last edited by The devil's own; 30-09-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Why shouldn't a person train to failure....
    Totally agree (is that a 1st chris?), training to failure is the best way to stimulate muscle growth if that's what you want (otherwise why would you do weights). I personally like doing negative reps where possible. The only real exception I can think of off the top of my head is attempting to train to failure on sqauts/clean-jerks or similar when alone. Obviously this could be quite dangerous.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

I was always told that lots of reps with low resistance leads to lean muscles and improved muscular endurance, fewer reps with bigger resistance leads to bulk and overall strength. As endurance runners we need the ability to sustain effort over prolonged periods and not to lift heavy weights for short periods - extra bulk also equals extra weight to lug up the climbs. Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I was always told that lots of reps with low resistance leads to lean muscles and improved muscular endurance, fewer reps with bigger resistance leads to bulk and overall strength. As endurance runners we need the ability to sustain effort over prolonged periods and not to lift heavy weights for short periods - extra bulk also equals extra weight to lug up the climbs. Or am I missing something?
    Yes you most definately are missing something. Read again and think harder.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

I used to think, as some have said, that for running just run - theory of specificity and all that. I am increasingly, especially for endurance, thinking strength training is important. It is the muscles and other connecting tissues that break down first, then form goes and then all sorts of secondary problems occur. This can be prevented by developing strength. But, for me, not weights. I prefer free body exercises such as squats, burpees, plyometrics etc.

I do loads of strength training as well as running. Not really sure how one compliments the other, but keeping the whole body fit and strong has reduced my recovery times massively.