Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Cross Country Season

Re: Cross Country Season

I did the last PECO as well. I quite like that course, felt like a proper cross country with the short sharp climbs and muddy sections. 19th this time for me.

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by redeaston View Post
    I did the last PECO as well. I quite like that course, felt like a proper cross country with the short sharp climbs and muddy sections. 19th this time for me.
    Well done Chris!!!

I would have liked to have had time to explore the Woods, as there's a lot of Leeds industrial archaeology/heritage in parts of them (but I'd had a lift there, so had to abide by my drivers timetable)
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Did all six in the NWXCL (Liverpool, Knowsley, Penny Lane, Spectrum, Newburgh, Warrington/Helsby/Lymm, Skelmersdale, Birkenhead/Pensby) 2012/2013. Clarke Gardens was gummy and skiddy. Beacon Park was a nightmare. Birchwood was fast but the team did terribly. Arrowe Park was better but died down the final stretch. Stadt Moers was technical and wet and I quite enjoyed it for my best finish, though no one else seemed to. Walton was flat and all on grass which suited some folk and disappointed others. Enjoyed it all actually, though we had no chance of winning.

T'was the 4th in the series we take part in yesterday (my legs were stiff after 'Ovenden' on Saturday), & what a nice course it was.

http://www.pecoxc.co.uk/index.html

You could instantly tell the road-runners, who'd just come along for the race, as they were cursing & slipping like buggery along the edge of the playing fields where the water was draining it all off.
    And as for the section in Barnbow Woods(?), & the boggy-bits afterwards - such good fun!!!

Well done to St Theresas AC (& Kippax Harriers) for plotting out such an entertaining course:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by sevendaughters View Post
    Did all six in the NWXCL (Liverpool, Knowsley, Penny Lane, Spectrum, Newburgh, Warrington/Helsby/Lymm, Skelmersdale, Birkenhead/Pensby) 2012/2013. Clarke Gardens was gummy and skiddy. Beacon Park was a nightmare. Birchwood was fast but the team did terribly. Arrowe Park was better but died down the final stretch. Stadt Moers was technical and wet and I quite enjoyed it for my best finish, though no one else seemed to. Walton was flat and all on grass which suited some folk and disappointed others. Enjoyed it all actually, though we had no chance of winning.
    Definitely like the dirtier of those courses - Walton and Arrowe Park are both a bit dull for me. We (Helsby) did Clarke Gardens and Stadt Moers twice in different leagues. All of them pretty soggy! That's it for another year now. Might have picked up a trinket in the club champs, though mostly for turning up for enough of them - some people seem to think hills and filth aren't fun for some reason?!

Last round of our 'PECO' series yesterday, up at Bodington Hall (University of Leeds grounds, at Weetwood)
    A 'claggy' course, laid out on very soft grass, not really muddy - bar a few wet patches, but soft enough to have almost ankle-deep prints at points

Was nice to see Eileen & Dave Woodhead there taking picyures

Quote Originally Posted by idler View Post
    Definitely like the dirtier of those courses - Walton and Arrowe Park are both a bit dull for me. We (Helsby) did Clarke Gardens and Stadt Moers twice in different leagues. All of them pretty soggy! That's it for another year now. Might have picked up a trinket in the club champs, though mostly for turning up for enough of them - some people seem to think hills and filth aren't fun for some reason?!
    I think my favourites were Stadt Moers and Birchwood, which were somewhere in the middle in terms of difficulty. Agree that Walton was perhaps a bit dull but it's nice that the flat runners had something. I thought Arrowe Park could have done more with the woods it has too, there's also the bit where you turn into the big lap that takes you politely around the edge of a field that has interesting lumps and bumps. Ran every race in trail shoes as I didn't own fell shoes so maybe my opinion will shift next season. We (Newburgh) should probably partner up with Skem so we stand half a chance.