Thread: Secure shoulder bottle holder?

Secure shoulder bottle holder?

Sorry if this is a repeated question but I’m new on here & this perhaps is a bit different question.

Does anyone have experience adding drink bottle holders onto shoulder straps of Camelbak hydration packs ? Will Raidlight Bottle Holder fit on shoulder strap & be stable, won’t bounce or lose bottle on rough tracks ?
    http://www.racingtheplanet.com/store...le-holder.html There’s nothing stocked near me so I need to buy via www.
    Salomon custom holder is another option but looks like it just has one clip / strap so I’m concerned it will move around.

I use a Camelbak MULE to carry the compulsory equipment on mountain run section of multisport races here in New Zealand. I use bladder for some but others like the Coast to Coast race we’re frequently crossing streams so don’t use bladder, instead each time cross a stream scoop hands to drink, dipping a cup or bottle. I prefer a bottle over cup as I know how much I’m drinking & can drink between rivers. The terrain is not easy trail though, it’s rough so any bottle holder needs to use so don’t get distracted and trip over. Also needs to hold securely so don’t lose the bottle.
    Here’s a video of a rougher section of the course
    http://youtu.be/RtwpRvusRsE

Have considered some waist belts but concerned they will be uncomfortable wearing both backpack and waist belt.

Any thoughts & particularly experience comments appreciated

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Secure shoulder bottle hol

I use an OMM one. Forget what it's called. c£14 (inc bottle, with measures for SIS supplements - e.g. PSP22, Rego). Stable, easy access, wide neck for adding powders mid-run.

Edit: can see in my new avatar.
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 07-10-2011 at 08:27 AM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

OMM i-gamy?
    Out of stock here, but plenty places stock em.
    Hills and Guinness!

I have used a raidlight bottle with an OMM 15lt sack and a raidlight 10ltr sack, the holder is stable and have used with 500ml bottle but have found that when full on the OMM it banged on my upper chest, fine when 1/2 full. Ended up using it to hold the 'event' map, which it was great for that. I then tried it on the raidlight and find it sits too high (I am 6') and have given up on it. I can carry 3 bottles with the rugsack which avoids the need for a 4th bottle. I have also tried a raidlight bum bag with two bottles but found it heavy, gave up on that idea, which is how I started on the rugsack route, I am very happy with the raidlight 10ltr, which is now 15lts, can easily get to the bottles without taking the sack off or loosening, especially the 'third' bottle holder

The OMM sounds like a possiblity as description states velcro onto d ring & another velcro around strap. How are the raidlight ones held on ?

I have used the OMM i-gamy with 2 Raid Light 750 ml bottles reasonably successfully both with an OMM iDrate and the Adventure Light 20. They are a bit "much" when full, but that just encouraages me to reduce the volume in them by drinking.

The Raid Light holders I don't rate. The elastic loops that keep the holder in place on the shoulder straps aren't a secure enough system. I find that when you stop and remove the sac (which I accpet you won't do in every type of race) the holder drops down the shoulder strap with the weight of the bottle and you have to faff around getting everything back positioned in the correct place.

The OMM holder is fastened on to the sac through loops on the shoulder straps so stays securely in place all the time. It is also further stabilised by a clip system mounted on the shoulder strap

A few weeks before the CCC I banged my ribs badly and couldn't handle the impact of the bottle on my right side at all. I had to switch back to a Raid Light sac and a Source 1.5 litre bladder.

I have always felt that the bottle system was superior both in terms of speed of access and as regards me being able to monitor consumption. But I can't say that I had any problems with the bladder system at all, as I was drinking along the way with a Raid Light cup to supplement bladder consumption, nor did I feel it slowed me down at any point. If anything my progress through the aid stations felt smoother (and was quicker) with the bladder system. Some of that though is down to experience, technique and position in the race avoiding the crowds.

As ever, you pays your money and takes your choice.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Thanks all. Elastic loops don't sound great. I'll hunt down an online store with OMM that will ship to New Zealand. Will liekly use with a 300-500ml bottle as we cross the river about 20 times in the 33km so don't need much volume

elastic loopes do work. I use big bottle but generally only 1/2 to 2/3 full.
    Have run Mountain marathons with it over rough ground and only once had to stop to grab it!
    also I am quite small (50k 5'6'') and yet it does not get in my way or bang into me much.
    Attachment 5221

Thanks however I think I'll opt for the solid security of velcro. I suspect the Coast to Coast mountain run course is a lot more rugged than where most UK runner ventures. It's more a high speed power walk, tramp & scramble in many places.