Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torn Ligament...what can I do?

Re: Torn Ligament...what can I

Thanks for your thoughts jamie. Reassuring I bought a bike from ebay but am a bit frightened to go on it just yet.
    Someone at school reckoned it would take 6-8 weeks (!) so your words are much appreciated.

THink I will be worried about running in anything other than a straight line for a bit.....

How are you? When will you be back racing? Good to hear from you.

Im Grand Sarah Thanks

Shame you cant come along on the reccie, but is best to get right.

Im trying to build up enough fitness for the proper borrowdale race.

Im racing regular, but fitness is down the pan really sharpness gone but coming back, its the hills that get me.

I was on and off for a quite a while. Just glad to be back running really.

Hope you get it right, its a bummer being crocked over summer when all the races are on.

When is Mick's BG attempt, he had a flyer at the 3ps. I have not seen him for ages

See you soon,
    Jamie
    Last edited by NotOnUrHelly; 13-06-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Based on what I've been through recently after a recent personal injury, I suggest finding out if it is ONLY a ligament problem for sure.

I can't recommend seeing a phyiso highly enough! I waited for a few weeks in the vain hope that things would improve but in the end bit the bullet and went along to a physio. He diagnosed that I had not only ligament trouble but foot joint problems too, all within about 10 minutes. A few weeks of manipulation and I'm starting back (slowly).

Still gutted that I spent 4 weeks sitting around and hoping for recovery....

Hope that you are on the road to recovery jodg. I am seeing a physio...Duncan Mason...simply because I am so desperate to get back running that I would do whatever it takes.

All the best to you and your recovery. How are you doing now?

Hello there!

Things going well actually, the ol' running shoes are on again...

Hope things improve quickly for you - I've had cabin fever since mid April and seem to have ballooned (a la Marlon Brando in The Godfather) from still eating as before....

See you on the fells one day when you're better!

Jan

In my experience 6-8 weeks is not a bad guess if you're looking for a fullish recovery but depending on the severity you could be on the go again sooner than you think. My most spectacular (of three) ankle lig tears ocurred mid-Nov of one year and I managed to get fit enough to run a 31:30 10k at Ribble Valley before the end of the year, only a minute slower than my best time for the course. Probably had about 3 weeks without running where I cycled as much as possible (and turbo'd too).
    This was all carefully done on smooth, reliable surfaces though - not sure a Borrowdale recce would be a worthwhile risk unless you are v sure footed.
    Seeing a physio for this is essential to make sure you get the ankle back close to how nature intended!
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Thanks track fairy. Wow...an impressive 10k return then!

Have bought a bike and now need to build up confidence to go on it...worried to try but think I will do so in a day or 2

Physio says I can start running v. gently in a few days. Will feel tentative I think.
    Unfortunately, at the physio session yesterday, as he was massaging the sprain, I nearly passed out. The room started spinning and he had to stop. I couldnt handle the ultra sound either. Felt totally drained afterwards. Quite embarrassing!

I hate the bit when the physio pushes my foot to the outside in order to manipulate the joints. Reminds me of that scene in "Misery"....

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    Unfortunately, at the physio session yesterday, as he was massaging the sprain, I nearly passed out. The room started spinning and he had to stop. I couldnt handle the ultra sound either. Felt totally drained afterwards. Quite embarrassing!
    Cheer up - the worst is yet to come!!

"Adhesions" - bits of ligament heal up and attach themselves to the wrong bit and the whole lot is in danger of coming a big clumpy mess. Correcting this HURTS!!!
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Moo - my experience. Similar to NotOnUrHelly...I went over on my ankle 9 miles into the Old County Tops. Initially couldn't put any weight on it but it settled down and I ran a further 26 miles!! Next day it was again sore but walked a few miles.

Once I got home on the Sunday, it became very swollen. Did the RICE thing, rested it a couple of days, went to see osteo and he said, very definitely, keep going on it. Needs to be fairly flat underfoot so you don't twist the ankle again but his view was very definitely that the exercise and movement will help the blood flow to the area thereby speeding recovery and will also ensure that full movement is regained.

3 weeks later, now doing stretches, lots of standing on one leg. Running is getting there, still a bit apprehensive off-road but reckon I'm a couple of weeks away from being confident on the fells again (fingers crossed!).

Good luck with your recovery. Hope it's a speedy one.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog