Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Roaches

Roaches

I know this race is some way off yet, but is there a map of the route available or can someone provide a summary of the route?

Re: Roaches Race

Which one!!??
    Staffs Moorlands are doing quite a pleasant trip out that way this Wed. eve.
    I'm sure someone there will be able to put you right.

Thanks. I was after details of the separate and longer race later on in the year, rather than the Summer Series race.

Quote Originally Posted by HomewardBound View Post
    I know this race is some way off yet, but is there a map of the route available or can someone provide a summary of the route?
    This is one of my favourites.

PM me, and I'll send you my GPS plot from last year.

This one is on my calendar for this year. Ran this the other year, it was my first long fell race. Found the going OK - not many races where there's a CP in the middle of a stream! Worst part is the climb up to Shutlingsloe (and half way), it's a case of "oh no, we're not going up there, are we?". And, of course, then back again so at least you know where you're going on the way back....

Bizarrely enough, I didn't see a CP or marshall on the top of Shutlingsloe - maybe I was in too much of a haze after the climb up!

There's a thread on this forum somewhere. Did it last year and there was definitely a map of the route posted. Not seen a profile, but having done it last year, it's a tough race. My preparation was inadequate to say the least and I found it, erm... an eye opener.

I'll be back for more though

Yes, there used to be a couple of threads (I've posted to one previously) on this forum but I've been unable to find it. Perhaps they weren't included as part of the "new look" forum at the start of 2007?

Course: Out and back category BL fell race 15miles with 3,700 feet of ascent.

Start: Meerbrook Village Hall 10.30am GR 987608

Parking: Tittesworth Reservoir Car Park, Pay and Display. 15 mins walk to Village Hall.

Facilities: Changing in Hall, Refreshments at Finish, Use Toilets at Car Park.

Course Details: Follows fields via Frith Bottom to Roach House. Through marked route on private land to road. To Roaches via Rockhall, follow ridge to Trig point and continue to Roach End. Follow path down to Gradbach Forest, and continue on lower track towards Youth Hostel. Ford river 150 metres downstream of Foot Bridge at GR 989657. Climb to road at Helmseley Farm over private land, marked route. Continue to join track at Tagsclough hill and follow track to A54 road, cross with care and follow footpaths through fields to the Crag Inn in Wildboarclough. Climb to Shutlingsloe. Return on same route to finish at Village Hall

246.67 feet per mile - is this the 'nearest miss' to a class A in the calendar?

Yup, that's the one. I seem to recall reading in this forum that there was a suggestion to *slightly extend" the race so it creeps into the A category.....