Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Most controversial club

Re: Most controversial club

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    They shouldn't need to insure it. If all are affiliated athletes they are insured anyway. The club are not the insurance company.
    They said they had to stipulate which runs were covered. That was just Tuesday evening hill reps.

As far as I know Esk Valley were formed as a splinter group from North York Moors AC, themselves a splinter of Middlesbrough Mandale (?), but with only 2 schisms they mustn't be trying hard enough!..
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Sunderland Harriers!
    Definately the most controversial club around here this week. Their leading light hopped on the bus to claim 3rd place in the Keilder marathon on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Out of interest which club can lay claim to being the most controversial club?

By that I think number of clubs which stem from disputes..

and the WFRA (a bumbag fight) as clubs and organisations stemming from splits..
    Not quite sure where you are coming from on that one Iain. WFRA was not a split - off group nor the result of a dispute. It's current incarnation was merely a reactivation of a previous committee which was affiliated to FRA and which had fallen into disuse. Issues like insurance and appropriate affiliation became drivers towards its reactivation, not dispute etc.

In South Wales, Les Croupiers managed to hack off their fell running contingent (despite one of them being Welsh Champion and a strong contender for British champion) who defected to Mynnyddwyr De Cymru and some of that contingent then split off to form Clwb Rhedwyr Brycheiniog in the wake of the Welsh Water Resevoirs Relay disaster. The Mighty Brycheiniog still limps along, MDC are still the pre-eminent fell club in South Wales (although Chepstow Harriers have a very strong showing now) and Les Croups now have a few keen off road runners.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Not quite sure where you are coming from on that one Iain. WFRA was not a split - off group nor the result of a dispute. It's current incarnation was merely a reactivation of a previous committee which was affiliated to FRA and which had fallen into disuse. Issues like insurance and appropriate affiliation became drivers towards its reactivation, not dispute etc.

In South Wales, Les Croupiers managed to hack off their fell running contingent (despite one of them being Welsh Champion and a strong contender for British champion) who defected to Mynnyddwyr De Cymru and some of that contingent then split off to form Clwb Rhedwyr Brycheiniog in the wake of the Welsh Water Resevoirs Relay disaster. The Mighty Brycheiniog still limps along, MDC are still the pre-eminent fell club in South Wales (although Chepstow Harriers have a very strong showing now) and Les Croups now have a few keen off road runners.
    Wasn't it? I thought our committee walked out over the bumbag incident at sugar loaf trial race and formed the WFRA or did they just join it? I thought that was the origins?

Wasn't it? I thought our committee walked out over the bumbag incident at sugar loaf trial race and formed the WFRA or did they just join it? I thought that was the origins?
    I think you are right to some extent and definetly part of it ,It was also to do with the ever increasing lack of confidence in WAA in relation to the forced membership to the orginisation if you were a club member so i think the bum bag issue was just the straw that broke the camels back.well that how i saw it in North Wales anyway.
    RE:MT&F
    there is definetly a scope to work closer with this club.i think they can offer a lot to the club ,the same way we can offer a lot to them.we just dont have the demographics to sustain a high quality,competitive running club in north west Wales if smaller clubs sping up and compete for members

No, nowt to do with it at all. And anyway, wasn't it the championship race at Waun Fach?
    Rocksteady, the enforced assumption that all Welsh fell runners would meekly sign up to WA (and pay for the privelege) was certainly in the mix...it's what I meant by 'appropriate affiliation'.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post

RE:MT&F
    there is definetly a scope to work closer with this club.i think they can offer a lot to the club ,the same way we can offer a lot to them.we just dont have the demographics to sustain a high quality,competitive running club in north west Wales if smaller clubs sping up and compete for members
    I think that's totally true but very few people in the club look outside of North Wales. They are happy with Eryri winning team events in North Wales. If we are to compete on the national scene we need one club. The likes of Calder Valley have access to 100'00's of people, we have access to 10,000's and split between numerous clubs.

I don't think many realise just how much more competitive it is outside of North Wales, and on the committee only a few have experience of that.

Master and MR

Can you welsh lot not just get along
    You seem a most friendly bunch when I occasionally cross the border

North Wales is, by nature, an insular environment. It's one of the attractions of the area but, depending on your POV, a weakness too. Folks may appreciate that it may be different/competitive outside of North Wales but do they care? And, perhaps more importantly, why should they?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth