Thread: The dangers of self-diagnosis

The dangers of self-diagnosis

After 2 weeks of misery complaining about the 'Plantar Fasciitis' that had struck me down, I actually went to see someone who knew what they were talking about yesterday.

Turns out it's not PF at all ( ), I merely have a dodgy left foot that 'corkscrew twists' through 12 degrees from back to front as well as ankle stability problems so, when I run all the pressure is going directly through the fifth metatarsal and causing injury.

So, 120 quid later, I am on the road to recovery, I think, and instead of being out for many months, a few weeks should see it sorted...

The moral of all this is - don't try and self-diagnose - see an expert, recommended by people you trust and get a proper diagnosis and some proper treatment.

MH

Re: The dangers of self-diagno

Here, here!

I sat around for a month waiting for my foot to get better (it didn't). I finally took the plunge and saw a physio. He asked me to flex my foot in a couple of different directions. It didn't, so he diagnosed it as joint trouble, not simply torn ligaments. All within 10 minutes.

If I hadn't have gone to see him, I'd probably still be sat waiting for it to heal...

Completely agree.

Just seen my physio and was dreading it a bit as I know my feet are flat and useless. Was expecting to have to fork out 500 quid for orthotics but instead he's just wedged two pieces of sticky foam in my shoes and hey presto, my ankle - foot - knee alignment is significantly better!

Funny you should say that. After six months of fighting a losing battle with Plantar Fasciitis using over-the-counter orthotics, I've just got back this minute from a belated visit to the physio, who treated an inflamed achilles tendon. Ooooops.

Master

Do`s that affect tomorrows plans Divot ?
    The older I get the Faster I was

No! Only the weather has the power to do that (see the thread itself for an update.) I was told to do a bit more cross training to give it time to heal but it's not a catastrophic problem and something I'm quite prepared to live with. I have been for long enough already.