Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front foot pad pain

Front foot pad pain

Have picked up a new injury I can't find help for from anywhere - anyone had this one / know a cure?

Have been building up mileage a bit 'just in case' someone dropped out of the OMM and I got a pass out after all. Have been very fit but a couple of weeks ago fast descending on long chalky / flinty slopes after a bit I felt something under my foot at the front, where you land if you are toestriking. Nothing to be found in the shoe so carried on. Fine when I finished an hour later foot felt fine. That night couldn't stand on it due to the pain / discomfort around join of 2nd / 3rd toes to foot. No bruising though quite swollen. Have rested it apart from cycling every other day for a couple of hours. Still no outward signs and swelling completely gone, without pharmaceutical assistance. Foot is still very sore. Nearest thing I can describe it as being like is a bruised heel pad. Anyone had this / know a cure as i'm getting grumpy without running!

Thanks

Re: Front foot pad pain

Can't help, but will be watching the thread with interest as I have exactly the same thing!

Mine is also shoe-dependent. I have a pair of Swoops and if I run in them for more than 20mins it's like someone is sticking a pin into the sole of my foot.

I believe I had something similar recently which I assumed to be from a sharp chunk of limestone when running fast, I'm a heavy bloke. Not been running very long at all though so not really 'in touch' with its effects as yet, so I may be wrong in my case and of course yours may be totally different

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Have picked up a new injury I can't find help for from anywhere - anyone had this one / know a cure?

Have been building up mileage a bit 'just in case' someone dropped out of the OMM and I got a pass out after all. Have been very fit but a couple of weeks ago fast descending on long chalky / flinty slopes after a bit I felt something under my foot at the front, where you land if you are toestriking. Nothing to be found in the shoe so carried on. Fine when I finished an hour later foot felt fine. That night couldn't stand on it due to the pain / discomfort around join of 2nd / 3rd toes to foot. No bruising though quite swollen. Have rested it apart from cycling every other day for a couple of hours. Still no outward signs and swelling completely gone, without pharmaceutical assistance. Foot is still very sore. Nearest thing I can describe it as being like is a bruised heel pad. Anyone had this / know a cure as i'm getting grumpy without running!

Thanks
    This sounds like what I have - metatarsalgia, swelling and tenderness around the heads of the metatarsals. Mine is worst around the joints of the second and third toes of my left foot. It's an overuse injury, which can occur after running on hard surfaces or in shoes with less cushioning than you're used to. I've had mine since July, and the foot is still swollen. The advice from my GP was to rest it, take ibuprofen and see what happens. So after a couple of months of lots of cycling and occasional runs, oh, and the Three Peaks Cyclocross, guess what? No improvement! I've now seen a podiatrist who has confirmed the diagnosis and advised Voltarol Emugel applied three times a day, a daily ice pack and daily exercises...... and rest.

My suggestion is to see your GP to confirm what the problem is and take it from there.
    Last edited by Marvin; 15-10-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I've now seen a podiatrist who has confirmed the diagnosis
    Marvellous - I have an appointment with a podiatrist next week!

if it is metatarsalgia then you can get metatarsal pads that off load the metatarsal heads... like this... http://www.return2fitness.co.uk/foot...beds/Metlift01
    getting them in the correct position can be a bit tricky but they seam to work.

Personally i get flare ups of this over winter when running in xc spikes. from trial and error i've found that i get it more often when my toebox is slightly narrower... which ive put down to it squishing the foot and causing the bones to be more sticky outy

another possible condition around the same area would be http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Morton's-Neuroma.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Marvellous - I have an appointment with a podiatrist next week!
    Good luck.

think i had something similar apart from it was between the 4th and 5th metatarsal, apparently i had damaged the meshy ligaments between the two of them and i had to do virtually nothing for three weeks except loads of thera band exercises and it slowly went. the key is not doing to much to early which is what i kept doing because after a week or two of not running it felt ok but would just flare up straight away as soon as i did a run.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Hi everyone, thanks for the input. Based on all the tips and some more research, looks like I have a stress fracture in the 2nd / 3rd 2nd toe bone or metatarsal. Seems to develop from upping your mileage significantly [yes] , running on hard ground [ no rain down here], changing your shoes [ took my orthotics out to replace for standard Inov8 insoles] and fast downhill running [ err, yes again]. No visible bruising or other external symptoms still but still unrunnable due to the pain, based on an attempt on Friday. I see others have similar symptoms . Best cure is RICE, 6-8 weeks off and then start back gradually.... So guess the sole unsupported attempt on the Winter S Wales Traverse I was planning / hoping for is off again this year .... !

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Can't help, but will be watching the thread with interest as I have exactly the same thing!

Mine is also shoe-dependent. I have a pair of Swoops and if I run in them for more than 20mins it's like someone is sticking a pin into the sole of my foot.
    Sounds like plantar fasciitis - nasty. Tape it so support it / stop it stretching more than it absolutely needs to, use orthotics and stretch it carefully 3 times daily - heel drops, sprinters crouch stretch to really stretch the whole sole of the foot. Unfortunately had that one too a few years ago, as part of the recovery from a busted femur .... Despite all that still managing some decent MM results so there is hope!