Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: BG 2012 Recce's....

Re: BG 2012 Recce's....

Going ahead as planned for tomorrow: Dunmail at 9, Threlkeld 9:30. Be there or be ... warm and tucked up in bed.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Waiting to hear what you found Andy. Personally, I was warm and tucked up in bed.

Down here there was plenty of snow last night, but lower down (only a few hundred feet above sea level) it's all melting away.

The planned trip round the Hobble route was somewhat abbreviated last weekend. Good company in the form of Mrs.C; AndreaS; Steve Merry Foster Legs and Hazel from Macc. The weather was pants... sleety, wet and very windy. My dog became seriously knackered too and was a bit of a distraction. At 18-20 miles we got back in the car and called it a day.... wet, cold, knackered and smelly.

I suppose that's a day well spent!

Next morning up at 8 to go on the Macc Sunday steady trot... this week was following an orienteering route round Gradbach. I thought I'd be very achy and weary, but none of it... felt really good. Did about 12k and then ran home over Shutlingsloe and Teggs Nose. The driving (horizontal) sleet on top of Shut was a bit nasty, but I knew it was going to be passed in a couple of minutes. Now, however, despite no sprains or turns, my left ankle is swollen and sore... getting a bit better through the week, but still not right... Simply overuse? Strange.

So a good few miles last weekend, even if the Hobble route wasn't quite the day out I'd planned.

Next for me, the Manx Mountain Marathon route from South to North on 23rd December... assuming we get there OK. Done North to South a few times, but for and change and to ease the logistics, doing it back to front this time.

So I'll keep squeezing in the long days as and when possible and whenever I see a hill, go up it.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Super Moderator

Simon, it sounds like you had a decent weekend's training at this stage. Hope your ankle settles down. Ice is your friend
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Good day out today with Andy, Chris, Simon and Dave. Thanks. :thumbup:

A bit windy on the tops and the odd bit of sleet/snow.

Good vis and good conditions underfoot for the most part though.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Simon, it sounds like you had a decent weekend's training at this stage. Hope your ankle settles down. Ice is your friend
    Cheers Andy.... it is settling, just a bit weird and sore but not enough to put me off.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    Waiting to hear what you found Andy. Personally, I was warm and tucked up in bed.

Down here there was plenty of snow last night, but lower down (only a few hundred feet above sea level) it's all melting away.

The planned trip round the Hobble route was somewhat abbreviated last weekend. Good company in the form of Mrs.C; AndreaS; Steve Merry Foster Legs and Hazel from Macc. The weather was pants... sleety, wet and very windy. My dog became seriously knackered too and was a bit of a distraction. At 18-20 miles we got back in the car and called it a day.... wet, cold, knackered and smelly.

I suppose that's a day well spent!

Next morning up at 8 to go on the Macc Sunday steady trot... this week was following an orienteering route round Gradbach. I thought I'd be very achy and weary, but none of it... felt really good. Did about 12k and then ran home over Shutlingsloe and Teggs Nose. The driving (horizontal) sleet on top of Shut was a bit nasty, but I knew it was going to be passed in a couple of minutes. Now, however, despite no sprains or turns, my left ankle is swollen and sore... getting a bit better through the week, but still not right... Simply overuse? Strange.

So a good few miles last weekend, even if the Hobble route wasn't quite the day out I'd planned.

Next for me, the Manx Mountain Marathon route from South to North on 23rd December... assuming we get there OK. Done North to South a few times, but for and change and to ease the logistics, doing it back to front this time.

So I'll keep squeezing in the long days as and when possible and whenever I see a hill, go up it.
    Aye, twas crap weather last saturday, still, it's miles in the bank of legs, hope you had a good birthday, the ankles better soon and have a good un in the IOM, keep plodding on mate:thumbup:

Soon as we got home my dog did a mexican wave and hurled all over the kitchen, just glad she didn't do it in Mr C's car on the way home!
    Last edited by stevefoster; 10-12-2011 at 11:59 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!

An excellent recce yesterday: thanks Simon & Rich for the route info. The tops were great, & we got enough views of the fells between the clouds to get some idea of just how white the Lakes are at the moment. I suppose there was an average of about 3 inches on the tops, but we found the odd drift or two as well. Some icy patches, but few hard enough to give trouble to fell shoes. Nevertheless I headed for Keswick afterwards to invest in some Microspikes as insurance for next weekend's Tour de Helvellyn. If it stays cold with a couple of thaw/freeze cycles it could have been an icy crossing the passes next weekend. That won't happen now I've bought the spikes - it'll all be gone by Friday!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I suppose there was an average of about 3 inches on the tops, but we found the odd drift or two as well. Some icy patches, but few hard enough to give trouble to fell shoes. Nevertheless I headed for Keswick afterwards to invest in some Microspikes as insurance for next weekend's Tour de Helvellyn. If it stays cold with a couple of thaw/freeze cycles it could have been an icy crossing the passes next weekend.
    All the snow has been blow into the valleys. We encountered quite a bit coming up Sticks Gill yesterday and enough ice to warrant donning spikes.

Hi, if you are popping up for a recci at some point could I tag a long? I'm aiming to do my round in June.

Roger

I was going up again this weekend, but there's been plenty of fresh snow, with significant drifting in places.

Might head up on the 23/24 of Dec if it's consolidated a bit. Probably to look at leg 1 again.