Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: BG 2012 Recce's....

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Re: BG 2012 Recce's....

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 555 stops at Dunmail and then goes on to Keswick. Google buses in Cumbria for timetable, etc. They're pretty frequent. They're also pretty pricey!
    Cheers Hank, will do.

Agree with Gaz, I did Leg 1 a couple of weeks ago and the person who ran down the fence line off Calva to the sheep pen was far quicker than myself who ran through the darn heather and bog then up to the rocks.

I'm pretty sure the 555 stops at Dunmail and then goes on to Keswick. Google buses in Cumbria for timetable, etc. They're pretty frequent. They're also pretty pricey!
    Yep, the 555 stops right opposite the AA box at Dunmail. I agree that this bus service is a bit expensive ... I seem to recall it was about 9 quid for me and the wife to Keswick, but it could have been worse than that. If your car is at Threlkeld, you can run back down the old railway line or if your legs are knackered get the Penrith bus straight from the bus station, it stops at Threlkeld.

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Or hitchhike. It usually works pretty well in the Lakes, even on the main roads, if you look like a walker or runner. I hitched back from Threlkeld to Keswick on Saturday easily enough.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

or do it the other way round - park at Dunmail (or Wythburn church), get the bus, then finish back at your car - saves faffing about when you're tired/cold/hungry
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

After my aborted attempt this year I'll probably be having a bash in 2012... thinking late April/early May at the moment. .
    I'm also available to help although I think you're probably too fast for me. If you do 2230 I would have no problem but I suspect you'll be much faster given the right conditions. But anything I can do give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaS View Post
    Looking at the calendar it seems that a recce of one of the legs, (whichever is easier to organise) on either the 2nd or 3rd November would be good. Depending on the weather of course!
    Andrea

http://conversationsalongtheway.wordpress.com
    I have a week off that week and live about an hour or so away so would be up for a recce of one of the legs too.
    LIFE...........for a limited period only!

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Yep, the 555 stops right opposite the AA box at Dunmail. I agree that this bus service is a bit expensive ... I seem to recall it was about 9 quid for me and the wife to Keswick, but it could have been worse than that. If your car is at Threlkeld, you can run back down the old railway line or if your legs are knackered get the Penrith bus straight from the bus station, it stops at Threlkeld.

Martyn
    Cheers for Info Martyn, ended up running down road towards Thirlmere to bus stop at head of lake, caught the 555, cost £5-50 to Keswick then went along old railway line back to Threlkeld as we had a 40 minute wait at keswick

God, it was worse than I thought .... I'm guessing you caught the 555 from around Thirlspot/Kings Head and it still cost £5-50??? Daylight b****y robbery springs to mind! Hope you had a good run out anyhow ....

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Speaking of throwing hats in the ring........

Been thinking of this for a couple of years now and planning May 25th 2012... there,.. I've said it.

Assent from Lou and with encouragement from a number of mates, so time to get this BG thing put to bed... simples:wink:

Lots of prep to do (I'm not a natural whippet) and competing demands on time from family and work, but shall do my best and most importantly, enjoy the process:thumbup:

As for training, I have says off in the week to train; have a 5 mile / 1000' lactate fest on my doorstep (as fundamentally, I am slow / steady and need to work on a basic level of lactate tolerance); a 15 mile / 3700' intermediate route straight out of the front door and can extend this to 30 miles and about 7-8,000' with yet more scenic terrain. I am lucky living where I do. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it all.

£5.50 for that little hop on the bus seems pricey!

Simon
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge