Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydration packs revisited

Hydration packs revisited

I'm looking to get a hydration pack for a couple of long races this summer.
    I've read several previous forum threads and would be interested and grateful if two loose ends could be tied up:
    1) Has anyone tried the Inov8 hydration packs yet? There seemed to be a difference of opinion as to whether the low centre of gravity approach adopted by Inov8 would be comfortable or not;
    2) Was Emmilou's NorthFace Dogfish as good a buy as it seemed at £28? I've read a review on an American site which suggested that the tube tends to get pinched off, making drinking difficult. And is the pack itself big enough to take the mandatory kit and other bits and pieces?

Re: Hydration packs revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    And is the pack itself big enough to take the mandatory kit and other bits and pieces?
    Its more than big enough, I have space left over in a 4ltr bumbag.
    It looks a good choice I'm looking into using one on the longer Lakeland races when its really dry

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    I'm looking to get a hydration pack for a couple of long races this summer.
    I've read several previous forum threads and would be interested and grateful if two loose ends could be tied up:
    1) Has anyone tried the Inov8 hydration packs yet? There seemed to be a difference of opinion as to whether the low centre of gravity approach adopted by Inov8 would be comfortable or not;
    2) Was Emmilou's NorthFace Dogfish as good a buy as it seemed at £28? I've read a review on an American site which suggested that the tube tends to get pinched off, making drinking difficult. And is the pack itself big enough to take the mandatory kit and other bits and pieces?

Having internet difficulties - keeps crashing this is the 3rd time I've replied to this post!! So what was a lengthy reply has now been cut short!

I'm pleased with the dogfish, no problems with tube - ample room, comfortable and used regularly for periods over 7 hours!!!

Great value for money.

Sounds great.
    The problem with researching anything on t'internet is that you can always find someone with a bad experience and a negative post somewhere, so it's reassuring to get positive reviews.
    Emmilou's recommendation is good enough for me! (Sorry you had to make several attempts to reply, and thanks for persevering.)

Anyone recommend a Tesco Hydration Rucksack ?
    Only £9.97 and they have them in stock in Altrincham. Although I think they are 1.5L, not 2L.

Hi TF,
    Backing up what Emmilou has said, I'm still happy with my North Face Hammerhead, with one small cautionary point. I had to take it back a wee while ago as the bladder had sprung a leak (no sniggering at the back, please!) where the hose clicks in to it. The shop (Tiso in Glasgow) exchanged it with no quibbling (still had the receipt). I notice however that the new one's been updated slightly, with the bladder connection now in a different place, redesigned, and the mouthpiece on a handy detachable magnetic clip for easier drinking. Good improvements all round, maybe as a result of the older units failing??

In retrospect, I might prefer the Dogfish for running only, but the Hammerhead is big enough to serve lightweight summer day walks too, so it wins on that count.

Finally, the hose can get a kink, stopping the flow of water, but only if you pack it in such a way as to make this a danger. Anyway, I recommend that you always check that the hydration system delivers water before you set off!

Thanks for the advice, bigmoose. I'll endeavour to avoid kinks and keep an eye on my bladder.
    This is beginning to sound like "Carry On Up the Mountains"... perhaps that could be a new thread. Which fellrunner would be played by Sid James? Or, for that matter, Barbara Windsor? Maybe we'd better not go there.

I bought the Tesco Hydration Rucksack only £9.97.
    Only 1.5 litre but I am finding it perfectly adequate.

I'm interested to know at what point do people switch from hydration pack to bumbag.

as a newcomer to long fell races I have only used a hydration pack with plenty of space for waterproofs, hat, food etc and i'm of the mind that i'd rather have a bit too much than not enough if I end up in trouble high up. but all the fast runners seemd to have a tiny bumbag and next to no kit.

when did people start wearing hydration packs in races? and what did they do before?

educate me!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by chudleigh cannon View Post
    I'm interested to know at what point do people switch from hydration pack to bumbag.

as a newcomer to long fell races I have only used a hydration pack with plenty of space for waterproofs, hat, food etc and i'm of the mind that i'd rather have a bit too much than not enough if I end up in trouble high up. but all the fast runners seemd to have a tiny bumbag and next to no kit.

when did people start wearing hydration packs in races? and what did they do before?

educate me!

if theres plenty of water on route , use that, drink from the cool sweet mountain sources, theres no point in lugging loads around with you