View Poll Results: Should we leave the EU?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 100.00%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurosceptics

Eurosceptics

An another Tory leader is going to war with his party over Europe and while it's funny to watch Call Me Dave in hot water, I can't help thinking this is a distraction.

Nevertheless, what do you think? Should we be in, out or shake it all about?

Re: Eurosceptics

We celebrate the fact that Libya is free and that the people can have a say in their countries future, so why should'nt we. The only vote we have had on it was 37 years ago when it was put forward as a bloody common market. Since then it has evolved into a governing state full of blundering bureaucrats. Makes me angry that we can not have our say. Whilst we p*ss about deciding and hesitating this country is hemorrhaging a net loss of £50 million per day, and before you eurocrats start bleeting about how our economy needs it then let us observe how the Swiss are getting on without it.
    Last edited by Roy Scott; 23-10-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    We celebrate the fact that Libia is free and that the people can have a say in their countries future, so why should'nt we. The only vote we have had on it was 37 years ago when it was put forward as a bloody common market. Since then it has evolved into a governing state full of blundering bureaucrats. Makes me angry that we can not have our say. Whilst we p*ss about deciding and hesitating this country is hemorrhaging a net loss of £50 million per day, and before you eurocrats start bleeting about how our economy needs it then let us observe how the Swiss are getting on without it.
    I agree Roy. I work for a Norwegian company - they are doing just fine outside of it.

The EU leeches money from us - over £10 Billion a year and operates extremely inefficiently.

We do not need to be in, and I would sooner see us focus more on our Commonwealth links when it comes to international trade where the UK is still highly respected and these economies are growing and have a bright future.

Cameron's position on this as well as the Lib Dems is untenable and anti democratic. Conservatives offered a referendum on Lisbon but duck out as they say it is signed and sealed. Lib Dems offered a referendum, but won't support this.

Party Politics sucks.

Be nice if some of the no voters could justify their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I agree Roy. I work for a Norwegian company - they are doing just fine outside of it.

The EU leeches money from us - over £10 Billion a year and operates extremely inefficiently.

We do not need to be in, and I would sooner see us focus more on our Commonwealth links when it comes to international trade where the UK is still highly respected and these economies are growing and have a bright future.

Cameron's position on this as well as the Lib Dems is untenable and anti democratic. Conservatives offered a referendum on Lisbon but duck out as they say it is signed and sealed. Lib Dems offered a referendum, but won't support this.

Party Politics sucks.
    Norway would join Europe if they could keep the management of their fish....

As it is they do still play a role in Europe as its a member of the EEA...

However they have the best managed fishery, probably in the world and rightfully will not pass control to EU bureaucrats..

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    We celebrate the fact that Libia is free and that the people can have a say in their countries future, so why should'nt we. The only vote we have had on it was 37 years ago when it was put forward as a bloody common market. Since then it has evolved into a governing state full of blundering bureaucrats. Makes me angry that we can not have our say. Whilst we p*ss about deciding and hesitating this country is hemorrhaging a net loss of £50 million per day, and before you eurocrats start bleeting about how our economy needs it then let us observe how the Swiss are getting on without it.
    Of course you have a say. Vote an anti EU party in...

We rarely decide single issues on referendums, why start now... just vote in a different party..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Of course you have a say. Vote an anti EU party in...

We rarely decide single issues on referendums, why start now... just vote in a different party..
    Did that, not enough others followed. Not sure a single policy party would be equipt to run the country really. It is surely easier to convince an existing party in power of the peoples right and requests.

I think most younger people are pro europe... or at least more pro europe than the anti europe parties...

At the moment I think we have a nice balance.. I did think we should have joined the euro from the off as long term I think it will cost us to enter later on, but maybe with the collapse of some major economies it was the right option.

Overall though Europe seems to be getting more sensible, less draconian, great funders of research and social development and have been great for our rural communities in many respects..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Norway would join Europe if they could keep the management of their fish....

As it is they do still play a role in Europe as its a member of the EEA...

However they have the best managed fishery, probably in the world and rightfully will not pass control to EU bureaucrats..
    It is as simple as that eh. So apart from fish, they are well up for it. I am sure they would be fine with the single currency, european law, bail outs and central governance. Yeah just must be the fish.

I voted no. I think that there are pros and cons in all of the arguments stated. When people go on about EU leeching 10billion out of Britain per year I question the stats. I think that an attempt to steer the EU from inside is more approproiate than just leaving. All parties seem to lack the courage of their conviction and just say no like the French do if they disagree with certain parts. Tories AND labour seem to argue then meekly agree, but voters could act if needed and get the politicians to act if they really believed in this issue.

I don't think just upping sticks and pulling out will help us in the long term and the media I do believe is pretty biased aganst Europe so I don't honestly believe that all the facts are out in the open. Yes, I do believe that there is waste and over expenditure in Brussels but there's too many MPs in Westminster and they claim too many expenses (even the millionaires!!) so I don't think our parliament is particularly efficient.