Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 'all round' fell shoe

Re: Best 'all round' fell shoe

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    I ain't tried the 272's yet as I heard the fit was bigger than the 270? Current shoe is Talon's but for me they don't come close to 270's if it's steep and muddy. I also prefer them over rocky ground for the extra protection over the talon.
    I discovered how bad X-Talons were over steep and muddy ground at Ben Nevis, having spent most of my time coming down to Red Burn on my arse. I think they're fine if they're brand new, but after a couple of months they're no good - great for dry rocky Peak District races though.

The 272's, 270's and 333's seem to be coming up as a fave for peeps. I will try them all and more including Walsh's as well. My bro has lasportiva's but they look great but reviews state very dead on hard ground in terms of any cushioning and not the nest grip.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    I discovered how bad X-Talons were over steep and muddy ground at Ben Nevis, having spent most of my time coming down to Red Burn on my arse. I think they're fine if they're brand new, but after a couple of months they're no good - great for dry rocky Peak District races though.
    Even in 333s I was on by backside repeatedly on the section that troubled you - next time I will cross the burn where the path does and then descend - I recce'd this after the race and distance wise there is not much in it.

Hi Probo,

I'll complicate things further by recommending something else again. If you do a lot of your running on the North York Moors then you could do worse than trying Adidas Kanadias - that's what I use most of the time on the NYMs and they're just as good, if not better, than a lot of 'proper' fell shoes that I've tried over that terrain. Despite the fact that they're dirt cheap (I got mine for £35! - over a ton for a pair of trainers is a joke IMO), they seem to last pretty well, though if you're planning on doing scree runs day in day out that might be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Trimm Trab View Post
    Hi Probo,

I'll complicate things further by recommending something else again. If you do a lot of your running on the North York Moors then you could do worse than trying Adidas Kanadias - that's what I use most of the time on the NYMs and they're just as good, if not better, than a lot of 'proper' fell shoes that I've tried over that terrain. Despite the fact that they're dirt cheap (I got mine for £35! - over a ton for a pair of trainers is a joke IMO), they seem to last pretty well, though if you're planning on doing scree runs day in day out that might be different.
    I agree with this, they are neat on the foot and last ages. Speedcross are expensive and too high so suffer from instability. I find the Wave Harrier clumpy and dislike wearing them so will not need to buy another pair. Current fave rave for training is the NB101 cheap well made, comfortable and light.

New member here. I bought some Inov 8 X Talon 212s a few weeks ago and absolutely love them. I'd happily wear them for everything (including track and road running) were it not for the fact that the studs are a soft grippy rubber which will wear down quickly on those surfaces. For mixed trail running they are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    I agree with this, they are neat on the foot and last ages. Speedcross are expensive and too high so suffer from instability. I find the Wave Harrier clumpy and dislike wearing them so will not need to buy another pair. Current fave rave for training is the NB101 cheap well made, comfortable and light.
    another nod for the kanadia
    they've lasted me for miles, most notably on the High Peak 40 this year, with zero problems whatsoever.

lightweight, grippy and the mesh upper means your feet never stay wet for long

Got to agree with MANOTHEMOORS, the 212's are superb. I've worn them from cross country to BOFRA's to the Full Tour Of Pendle. They're fast, light & I got my last pair for £60. They do most jobs asked off them.

I did the high peak 40 the year before (2009). Good course, great value race, well organised, tons of pit stops and well marked course - highly recommend! My knees were battered by the end, cramped like a bitch, but then again at the time, I had not run over 18 miles before, so 40 really pushed me, will be doing it again this year.

The Adidas Kanadias look like a great value training shoe that would be suitable for a lot of terrain. The lugs just dont look like they will dig in like the inov8s or the walshs would though.

I will certainly look at a pair for training in though. My soloman, road to trail shoes in varying models are great for long hard compact trail but lack aggression in the sole for anything else. There are the Salomon Slab soft ground Xt's, again, £107.00 buckeroonies. you'd be daft or just rich. I wouldnt mind being daft and rich, beats just being daft

I use Xtalon for races only as they just can't take the mileage and are not cheap. BTW the 101 is £25 from the NB factory shop and while no where near as grippy as the Talon feels very similar on.
    Last edited by Henry Porter; 26-10-2011 at 10:14 PM.