Thread: Advice on Juniors Champs

Advice on Juniors Champs

Can I pick the brains of more experienced Junior coaches on the forum. I'm coaching Juniors who might be interested in entering some of the Junior Champs races in 2012. But we've only started our Junior section in May last year, so mostly the kids are new to the sport and don't have a lot of racing experience. I want to encourage them to be ambitious BUT would this be too much too soon? They are nearly all age 6-12. I've never attended any Junior Champs races myself, so I need some advice.

Re: Advice on Juniors Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    Can I pick the brains of more experienced Junior coaches on the forum. I'm coaching Juniors who might be interested in entering some of the Junior Champs races in 2012. But we've only started our Junior section in May last year, so mostly the kids are new to the sport and don't have a lot of racing experience. I want to encourage them to be ambitious BUT would this be too much too soon? They are nearly all age 6-12. I've never attended any Junior Champs races myself, so I need some advice.
    Get them to Pendle for the FRA Junior Race 1 on April 7th. I think you'll find they'll love it and then you can take a view on the rest of the FRA series.
    I know most of the venues and they are perfect for junior fell.

Yes the standard is very high at the front end but more so in the older age groups, but there's plenty of depth in the races so no one feels like they are hanging out the back too much and there's lots of supporters out there to help keep their spirits up and give them a lift.

Race 2 is then at the Anniversary Waltz - that's another fantastic day out.

Agree on Pendle, great junior race though if under 10 or over, useful to teach them how to climb a gate at speed.
    My daughter was last in under 10s and finished smiling but knackered, she really enjoys the race, this was her 3rd time.

My opinion of Hawkswick Dash for under 8s isn't that high but they did change the field this year and it was better. Under 10s and higher will probably cross the road and go up, it's short and pretty sharp!! Am not sure whether the same organisers are doing it this year as previously it was BOFRA.

Don't know other venues but strongly suggest Junior Champs races are worth doing.

Also think of BOFRA, good selection, many up in Lakes direction, always a good crowd of juniors, again little Biara has done quite a few and really enjoys the run out, she fancies a crack at the under 12 champs this year, just to get points and do a few different races.

Eleanor,
    I would encourage all young runners to support the championship and the associated U8 and U10 races. And as Biara recommends, BOFRA stage excellent junior races.
    Hope to see you out and about this summer.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Also very good to get stuck into some bog standard local junior races where the front standard might not be so impressive but the races are equally well organised and good fun. As a first race a championship race can be of putting and a bit daunting.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Quote Originally Posted by Clash City Rocker View Post
    As a first race a championship race can be of putting and a bit daunting.
    I've not found that Al - but I wouldn't suggest that an athlete goes to one if I felt that they may have such a problem which is perhaps why. I imagine the Ambleside kids are training on fells.
    For my kids, often the first taste of running on a fell is going to the race so I don't nudge them all.

I personally think 6 - 8 of them a season is enough for a junior and that's why I pick the FRA series + a few select others.

We're getting a group out to the Kendal Winter League races (14 from our club entered the U12 race at Scout Scar last Sunday) plus a good few ran at the Rusland Show and Ambleside Sports last summer. So some of our kids have some racing experience and I'm trying to help them with race confidence and strategy. There may be some who don't get to the Winter League but who would run later in the year. So potentially someone may enter a Champs race as a first event, but it sounds like there's enough spread of talent in these events that it would be okay. As WP suggests, yes we were training on the hills every week to November when it got too dark in the evening, and probs back up there from March.

From what you've said, I shouldn't worry that the Pendle event is out of our league, so thanks for that reassurance. Please do keep adding ideas on here, if you have different opinions or experiences that might help us. I've loved starting this Junior team but I have so much to learn.

Hi Eleanor, I think what you are doing is absolutely fantastic and I cant see any FRA or Bofra races being anything other than a cracking day out. A large number of Helm U8s & U10s go along & have a ball, if your youngsters can survive 92 runners at scout scar in an u12 winter fell race I'm sure they'll have no problem!

As long as the accent is on taking part, doing their best, gaining experience and learning vs a performance orientation I'm sure they'll have fun. If you look on felljuniors website you'll see "races may be held at each championship round and are intended to act as an introduction to fell running". The awards for FRA champ races at U/8 and U/10 are for the number of races participated in (4 = tshirt, 6 = hoody) rather than gaining Championship points, that starts at u/12. They then will be welcome to the junior do to take part in coaching sessions, have some fun, a good feed (WPs sarnies were excellent last year!) & collect the t-shirt/hoody they've earned.

Later in the summer Helm will put on some U8 & U10 races on the Helm as part of our junior club champs, these will be very low key and any of your juniors who havent raced & may want a lower key start will be welcome. Warning-there is a lot of chocolate involved in these mind! And as mentioned, the Bofra series is also a lot of fun, very friendly & often linked to galas & fetes.

Hope the level 2 is going well.
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I've not found that Al - but I wouldn't suggest that an athlete goes to one if I felt that they may have such a problem which is perhaps why. I imagine the Ambleside kids are training on fells.
    For my kids, often the first taste of running on a fell is going to the race so I don't nudge them all.

I personally think 6 - 8 of them a season is enough for a junior and that's why I pick the FRA series + a few select others.
    Have had a couple of mine who habve done Champs races who have said that they felt a little overawed by the quality of the field and have looked to do some more low key races afterwards just to build up confidence again. I am not saying there is anything wrong with bigger races as there isnt but for some it might not be right. I know you agree with that. Its about progression for some athletes. Everyone is different thank god.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan R View Post
    As long as the accent is on taking part, doing their best, gaining experience and learning vs a performance orientation I'm sure they'll have fun.
    Hi Duncan, yes good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan R View Post
    Hope the level 2 is going well.
    Stressful. :) I'm trying to get my portfolio sent this weekend. Lecky has been brilliant, coming down to observe sessions. I wouldn't have got all the stuff done without him.