Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle Age Dilema

Middle Age Dilema

Hello folks, i'm new to the forum but have been viewing for a good few years so please forgive me for not joining earlier. I've admired all your work from afar.

I have a dilema, I turned 45 last week.

Im very fortunate in that I work 20 mins or so from Wasdale so access to the fells isnt an issue but my fitness is poor due to an old cruciate repair which is coming loose, so to compensate i've just bought a Ribble Audax/Winter Training Bike as a means of getting some weight off during the winter (my first road bike).

I am sort of feeling like i've given up and settled for a "that'll do" type of exercise but I really want to be back running. As a result i'm doing nothing.

Any ideas for getting me out of this rediculous mindset ?

Re: Middle Age Dilema

Quote Originally Posted by Hazy View Post

Any ideas for getting me out of this rediculous mindset ?
    Get a border collie

Hey up Hazy
    Dont give up but before you do anything too daft, see a physio/doctor. Preferably one who runs or treats runners. Be realistic, full on brain out brakes off descents may be too much for a dodgy cruciate but there is probably still fun to be had in the hills.

Good luck

Super Moderator

I'm with Steve (sbrt) Hazy. 45 is no age to give up. Get some advice and get out there and do what you can!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

i started at 50 after giving up a 40 a day bad smoking habit. that was 5 years ago and i love fell running. now got the 3 peaks down to 4:46 (going for under 4:30 next year). cycling is a great idea to get fitness without putting extra strain on the body. just go for it. never too old!!

At 45 your still in the YOOF section!!
    pies

Just head out in the hills for a walk, if you can manage running in parts then go for it, just don't over do it and as others have said go very easy on the descents.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Master

It would be sensible to get someone who knows a lot about knees to have a look at your knee and advise what activities are appropriate - fell running is pretty unforgiving, particularly when descending - it would put a lot of stress on your anterior cruciate ligament, presumably the one that is dodgy.

Many thanks for your support, i'm really pleased I joined the forum, you are all so kind. It's so much easier talking to you lot than trying to explain my frustrations to the wife, even though she is very understanding (just incase she's a secret forumite )

I think I overplayed the cruciate thing, it's been knackered for years and I had a very successful repair over 10 years ago and a recent wash out so i'm no worse off than most people my age to be honest. I think my frustration is more of a motivation thing and all your encouragement has certainly helped. If I ever become an alcoholic you lot will be the first to hear about it.

I had a trot up the old man at 7am today from the Walna Scar and felt ok if not a little lardy but I really enjoyed myself. To pick up on an earlier post, the down bits I tend to find ok because I feel I can support my knee with a slightly bent leg. I do tend to spend most of my time running on very steep ground in Wasdale so as im sure you all know a bent leg (or even 2) is the only way to get down at any speed really without incorporating a cartwheel into your running style, it's the stiff climbs where i'm struggling but i'll keep at it.

To celebrate, the wif, Noodle our Labradoodle and I went to Bowness for some pub grub to undo all the good my run did. I've had a grand day, your kind words played a huge part in getting me out so thanks one and all.

Oh and Bowness was packed so if you're thinking of going tomorrow i'd give it a wide berth.

Just re read my post, sorry about my inept use of the smily thing, good lord it was huge.

In my defense:

a - I'm old (well ish)

b - I'm not very clever