Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not For The Squeamish

Not For The Squeamish

I couldn’t run, now I can’t ride either!

I haven’t been able to run seriously for several months now due to a foot injury (metatarsalgia) that was probably the result of too much running on hard surfaces on the Three Peaks Yacht Race back in June. So in the absence of running, I’ve been getting out on the bike, usually my cross bike with road tyres.

Well, I can’t ride a bike now either, and it’s a bit of a struggle even to walk!

I came off the bike during an early morning ride on Wednesday at Port Dinorwic Marina in North Wales on a lifting bridge – part steel plate, part steel mesh surface. I was on road tyres, and it was like trying to ride on sheet ice. The bike slid from under me, but the landing was like coming down on a knife blade. I was in hospital until last night having treatment for a dislocated finger and a badly lacerated left knee. Two operations later I’ve been stuck back together and I’m wearing a leg splint and using crutches to avoid putting too much load on the wound. It looks as if it will be some time before I can even walk properly let alone cycle or run.

You can tell you’ve got an interesting wound when the orthopaedic surgeon asks whether you mind if they take a photo! For the not so squeamish, I’ve posted some photos of the injuries here. See if you can spot the kneecap in the fourth image!

Re: Not For The Squeamish

I don't think I'll take a look, if you don't mind Marvin! Good luck for a quick recovery, sounds horrible.

No problem. I had been on a course at Plas Menai, and the coach showed the most graphic one to the group, much to their horror.

In case anyone tried to look, I've just updated the visibility so that the folder should now be visible.

ouch, that looks like it stings a bit! Hope you're back and fighting fit ASAP.

On the plus side, you've got something to really scare those trick-or-treaters on Monday night:wink:
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Ohhh, nice one... finger dislocation is pretty streightforward... however, the knee got a mighty bash! NICE cut, not seen one like that before Now, was that knee dislocated as well? The patella is in the wrong place

Hope you heal soon! x
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Oh no! That's a proper good 'un Marvin. I feel a little ill now!
    Hope you have a speedy recovery.

That grazed left arm is horrendous

LOL Stolly
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Marvin, best wishes for a speedy recovery. I can't face my Meat Feast Pizza after seeing that knee shot! Keep on keeping on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    I don't think I'll take a look, if you don't mind Marvin! Good luck for a quick recovery, sounds horrible.
    I think I will follow your example and give the photo a miss. I hope you are mended soon Andy.
    No country for old men.