Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Not For The Squeamish

Re: Not For The Squeamish

Just back home after a further 26 hours in hospital investigating the possibility of a clot in my leg. Too early to say whether there is one. Another jab of clexane tomorrow (in stomach) followed by ultrasound scan on Wednesday and Fracture Clinic on Thursday.

At least I got a chance to view the wound as it now is. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I have a photo some where..no it will NEVER appear on any public forum from a first aid course i did with the fire brigade of an Interesting injury including patients notes and surgeons reports(anon of course) the cas agreed post care in the interests of cas care to share the knowledge. It involved a fallen climber who hadn't fastened his harness properly (Big lesson there) The "casualty" was in a lot of pain despite not hitting the ground or bouncing of any rock.

I've seen it make grown men cry....It was whats called a degloving injury....I feel thats already too much detail needless to say it will make any man squirm........
    I remember the Instructor's at Brize Norton stressing the importance of fastening your parachute harness right with the crown jewels well clear of it. Attached to it on a 15 foot rope is your container with all your kit and weapon in it, which can weigh quite a bit. Once you exit the aircraft you disconnect it and it falls 15 foot below you on the rope, if attention has not been paid to the harness.........................!!!!!

All the best Andy and speedy recovery with no problems:thumbup:
    Hills and Guinness!

Blimey, Andy - ouch! I think I might be ready to race against you now - should be a pretty even contest.

Get well soon.

A slightly out of focus image of my knee as seen yesterday when the orthopaedic doctor had a look at the wound. There are ten stitches.
    Attachment 5321

Get well soon Andy!

Master and MR

It looks a tad better now andy. Only ten stitches ? . What about the clot, was that okay.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Only ten stitches ?
    Surprised me too, i had seven in my arm once on a much smaller wound.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    It looks a tad better now andy. Only ten stitches ? . What about the clot, was that okay.
    I still don't know whether there is a clot. I have an ultrasound scan this afternoon that should provide an answer. If there is a clot, I understand I'll be on warfarin for three months, if not I'm not sure whether I have to continue with clexane in the stomach or not. Apparently the clexane has to go in the stomach as it needs to go in fatty tissue. It seems that in England it is routine to give clexane after the type of injury I have had, but not in Wales. Why the difference?

Yes, only ten stitches. They're quite well spaced, but the wound has come together very neatly. They're due out at the end of next week and I'm optimistic that I'll be getting about more easily after that.

Master

The use of clexane for DVT prevention after an injury like this will vary from place to place - there will undoubtedly be local guidelines but whether or not they are followed is another matter. If there is a clot it is presumably small as they are having trouble finding it. The wound - from the the recent photo - looks like it is healing very well. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    The use of clexane for DVT prevention after an injury like this will vary from place to place - there will undoubtedly be local guidelines but whether or not they are followed is another matter. If there is a clot it is presumably small as they are having trouble finding it. The wound - from the the recent photo - looks like it is healing very well. Good luck!
    That's interesting. Thanks Mike.