Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lazy-arse needs encouragement

Re: Lazy-arse needs encouragem

Doesn't sound to me like you lack motivation, and all the work you do with juniors is inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    Grouse I know what you mean, but unfortunately my latest injury seemed to lead me down the lazy path - 6 weeks off in early summer to rest an insertional achilles injury and I just haven't had the same drive since then and getting really annoyed with myself now. I take the Ambleside Juniors training each week but this has been turning into my only outing. I thought maybe a posting on here could shame me into getting motivated.
    Concerning this Eleanor; my latest injury which was serious did nothing but motivate me to get back out running. I fractured my ankle in 2 places, and tore ligaments. I spent 5 months not being able to run (I swam and cycled after 3 months), and it drived me utterly mad.

I started running well before my doctors and physio advised me too, just 10 minutes a day at lunch time, and slowly built it up to 30 minutes a day. I'm now putting in a reasonable mileage/week, and considering the lunacy of the Haworth Hobble in March.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if running is in your blood, it will motivate you. I've felt almost physically sick at times whilst watching friends from the sideline on crutches, I've had my share of injuries (two what I'd call serious), and I always come back to running. Why? Well I'm not very good, I'm not particularly fast, but there is just something about being out there by myself.

My favourite time to go for a run is ~30 minutes or so before dawn breaks. No matter how hard my run feels, not matter how crap the legs feel, that sun breaking over the horizon rarely fails to bring a tear to my eye.

I guess the only "advice" I could ever impart would be to let the idea that you might not be able to run, be your motivation to run. I just have to revisit how depressed I've been during the months of my injury .
    Last edited by tired calves; 28-12-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Re: Lazy-arse needs encouragem

I have 3 children , my eldest is old enough to go out on the fells -started off small now built up to take on more miles and steeper , at weekends ( i work far from home so rarely home before 6pm , 2 days i am on my own so no chance before 9pm ), I normally take all three out for a walk on one of both days as my wife is not available , then Jake for a evening run for at least two evenings - Friday /Sat or sat /Sun , I have three Jake who is 8, Evie 5 and Leo is 11 months, i use a back carrier , Just getting out for a walk can start the process off
    what started off as a blog to prove what Jake can do has been a major motivational piece for Jake and myself ,
    http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com/