Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lazy-arse needs encouragement

Re: Lazy-arse needs encouragem

Try watching a race from the sidelines. I find there is nothing more motivating, I just can't help but want to run.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Sorry thought taht might get me in trouble again but I have been struggling with injury this year and it has made me really value my running time. I sometimes reming myself that no matter how hard it is to get out of the door and however bad an idea it might seem before I go I have never - but never - regretted going out for a run.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Master and MR

Phew eleanor id far from say your lazy.Three children and a busy job and all that goes with that plus sorting out the bloody recycling each day. Your life is very busy indeed.Im not a person who throws a lot of advice out there but from your post you seem to want to run. That seems pretty obvious.You also take the little ones out running, hey how many do that with what you have on your plate. Not very many.I thought about not running this morning but your post has motivated me to get out today and do an hour.You are the person that is bringing on the fellracers of tomorrow.Thats very special to me, very special. I have battled with john h and hugh this year up the front end which has also been special but just the thought of you going out with the liitle uns warms my heart and puts my achievements into thin air.Some of them will be racing in years to come with the help of you now. That is what this sport is all aboutI really hope for you that you increase your running, i think that you will.Dont forget eleanor. We are only here once, if you do it right once is enough. Keep taking them juniors but do find a little me time for eleanor.Tc daz

Wise and inspiring words from Daz as ever.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Daz mate, that was really touching thank you! I love taking out the Juniors and having bravely launched our Ambleside Juniors only in May this year with club-mate Kate, I'm very proud of the 30+ members that we have and how well they are running already. I'm now trying to get my Coaching License to make sure our club is insured, so I spent the first w/end of half-term in Calderdale on the first part of the UKA/FRA coaching course. Now of course I've to fit in lots of session planning, observations, assessments and what-not and I'm stressing about a really busy term at work just about to start tomorrow, never mind my own kids wanting to do things with me (how dare they, ha ha ha) which all drains away my motivation to squeeze in that little bit of time for my own training. My head is spinning and stressed most of the time and of course running can help with that, but hard to get out of the door when you feel that way. Luckily I love racing (should I say "racing", I'm pretty rubbish) so whenever I can also find the energy to organise childcare etc then I'm happy to turn up on the start line with little preparation. BUT I'm also lazy and MUST DO BETTER!!!!!!! Husband has gone out to the Buttermere tops this morning so I'm stuck in again, muttering about how I never go running. He was injured most of this year and only fair he can get out now, plus he does all the childcare when I'm at work.
    Last edited by Eleanor; 30-10-2011 at 12:08 PM.

Daz hit the nail on the head!! All I'd say is maybe its time for you to sit back a while, chill-out!! Set your goals for next year ( I like goals!!), races, PB's, challenge events and the like. Write them down on your 2012 calander! Start up properly in January, you're gonna be real busy in December don't forget!!....Get out for a run/bike/walk while you fancy it in the meantime.

Thanks for encouragement everyone. I'm coming out of the fug - 2 token runs this week - and thanks to my Mum having the kids, a weekend away and raced at Dunnerdale on Saturday. Ran less than a minute faster than 3 years ago when I was in my first season of fell running, but that's okay given I basically turned up with little preparation this time. Some ladies I beat at Loughrigg this year were 6 mins+ ahead at Dunnerdale ..... that's all the encouragement I need to get out and train this winter, and catch them back up! I might be slow but I am competitive

Get a decent head torch! Running in the dark is almost like a different sport & can be fitted in when you might otherwise be slumped in front of the telly. The other thing is to find other people to run with. I've just joined a wild-running group & we start (and finish) from a different pub every week for a 10k or so run, with a beer or two afterwards.
    Ben Tisdall
    Co-organiser
    www.wildnightrun.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Get an injury which stops you running for a month or more then you will soon stop whingeing.
    I know where you're coming from with this one.... dear oh dear.

And regarding the OP, coming 2nd in the Ambleside champs must give some encouragement I'd have thought! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Phew eleanor id far from say your lazy.Three children and a busy job and all that goes with that plus sorting out the bloody recycling each day. Your life is very busy indeed.Im not a person who throws a lot of advice out there but from your post you seem to want to run. That seems pretty obvious.You also take the little ones out running, hey how many do that with what you have on your plate. Not very many.I thought about not running this morning but your post has motivated me to get out today and do an hour.You are the person that is bringing on the fellracers of tomorrow.Thats very special to me, very special. I have battled with john h and hugh this year up the front end which has also been special but just the thought of you going out with the liitle uns warms my heart and puts my achievements into thin air.Some of them will be racing in years to come with the help of you now. That is what this sport is all aboutI really hope for you that you increase your running, i think that you will.Dont forget eleanor. We are only here once, if you do it right once is enough. Keep taking them juniors but do find a little me time for eleanor.Tc daz
    That is one of the best and most inspiring posts I have ever read on here. You should coach Daz.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step