Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Advisor

Trip Advisor

Anyone see 'Attack of the Trip Advisors' on channel 4 last night?

What a sad bunch of bastards they were. Keyboard warriors who have f**k all better to do than sit by there lap top all night posting drivel under an assumed name

Anyone on here put an ink mark on the bed sheets so they can check if the hotel has changed them?

Master

Re: Trip Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    Anyone see 'Attack of the Trip Advisors' on channel 4 last night?

What a sad bunch of bastards they were. Keyboard warriors who have f**k all better to do than sit by there lap top all night posting drivel under an assumed name

As long as they change the sheets between guests - if you need to mark the sheets to see if they have been changed then they didn't need changing.
    Anyone on here put an ink mark on the bed sheets so they can check if the hotel has changed them?
    As long as they change the sheets between guests - if you need to mark the sheets to see if they have been changed then they didn't need changing.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    Keyboard warriors who have f**k all better to do than sit by there lap top all night posting drivel under an assumed name
    Good Lord above. Is that on the internet? Do people really do things like that? :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

It's a complete tosser magnet that website... Biased as I am, my local is fantastic http://www.old-hall-inn.co.uk/ . Before we moved to the village we stayed there a few times while house hunting. It's a great pub/B&B and the Landlord works incredibly hard to make it the success it is (Derbyshire and Easy Midlands Pub of the Year the last two years). Some deranged malicious idiot went on Trip Advisor and completely slagged it off saying, among other things, that it was in a massively built up area and that the photo of it with Chinley Churn above was photoshopped and there was no such view. This review is now on the website for eternity even though it's complete nonsense.

Missed the programme last night but am guessing it was similar to an article in The Independent a few months back which basically said that on the one hand quite a percentage of the negative reviews could be traced to 'disgruntled' ex-employees while on the other hand some hotels etc offer inducements for positive reviews.

Oh and the Old Hall Inn is an excellent real ale/food pub - was over there last month for a wider family get-together/meal.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    It's a complete tosser magnet that website
    The word tosser could have been invented to describe the nit picking bastards featured on last nights programme. From putting a little ink dot on bed sheets to see if they were changed to removing tea bags and sugar from the tray in the room to see if they were replaced. Then there was a scouser who was being deliberately awkward by trying to pretend that he couldnt understand what the Polish(?) waitress was saying at breakfast, if anyone deserved the chef gobbing into his scrambled egg it was him.

Having said that if used correctly Trip Advisor can be a useful tool, I have posted reviews on there and had people get in touch through it asking for advice. If you look at reviews and they are mianly good apart from the odd one you can guess that this is from either a professional complainer or a complete knob

I could not believe the people on that show last night - sad people with nothing better to do than big up their own self importance. How can you expect a hotel to change sheets every day / complain that a waitress brought the wrong drink. Did not really like the way they stored up their complaints to write on the website rather than airing their grievances to the hotelier so some attempt to rectify them could be made.

We do look at Trip Advisor when looking at destination but have found you need to filter out some of the negative reviews since there will always be some people in the world who are never happy.

I didn't watch it as it was bound to be focusing on the extremes. They are after all trying to get good viewing figures!

I'm sure there are sad tossers that abuse the website but not everyone who posts on the website is like that.

A year or so ago we stopped in lots of B&B's on a trip across the country staying at various hotels, B&B's and a holiday cottage (visiting friends and relatives we hadn't seen in ages). I gave good and bad reviews. Mainly I posted for the really good places and the really bad places and I can tell you that there were some really bad places.

In essence there will always be those that abuse any facility. Trip Advisor is a good idea. Shame that some abuse it but not everyone posting on there does.

Lived in Old Glossop up to May 2007 - Now live in New Hampshire USA

Trip Advisor is a very useful tool to enable consumers to make a judgement on whether a restaurant or hotel meets expectations. Sadly many of them do not and some of them are frankly shocking. No wonder Hoteliers and Restaurauters are disgruntled with the site as it exposes their shabby treatment of customers that they have gotten away with for years. The site should be used with a degree of caution obviously. You should look for trends and the odd bad or very good reviews that stand out should be discarded. I have posted on the site both good and bad reviews and when looking for a restaurant I have purposely chosen a place because of its preponderance of good reviews.
    Shrewsbury, you state how can you expect a hotel to change sheets every day- Are you serious? I expect clean linen when I stay in hotels and I stay away approx 3 nights every week and have done for years. On multi night stays sure I will use the same linen but absolutely clean and fresh for my first night. I need to know that a hotel meets my expectations and that is why I use the same hotels over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrewsburyShuffler View Post
    I could not believe the people on that show last night - sad people with nothing better to do than big up their own self importance. How can you expect a hotel to change sheets every day / complain that a waitress brought the wrong drink. Did not really like the way they stored up their complaints to write on the website rather than airing their grievances to the hotelier so some attempt to rectify them could be made.

We do look at Trip Advisor when looking at destination but have found you need to filter out some of the negative reviews since there will always be some people in the world who are never happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ajohns352000 View Post
    Trip Advisor is a very useful tool to enable consumers to make a judgement on whether a restaurant or hotel meets expectations. Sadly many of them do not and some of them are frankly shocking. No wonder Hoteliers and Restaurauters are disgruntled with the site as it exposes their shabby treatment of customers that they have gotten away with for years. The site should be used with a degree of caution obviously. You should look for trends and the odd bad or very good reviews that stand out should be discarded. I have posted on the site both good and bad reviews and when looking for a restaurant I have purposely chosen a place because of its preponderance of good reviews.
    Shrewsbury, you state how can you expect a hotel to change sheets every day- Are you serious? I expect clean linen when I stay in hotels and I stay away approx 3 nights every week and have done for years. On multi night stays sure I will use the same linen but absolutely clean and fresh for my first night. I need to know that a hotel meets my expectations and that is why I use the same hotels over and over.
    Good to see the rarely used word 'gotten' appear on the forum, how long have lived in the states ajohns

I think Shrewsbury was talking about the guy on the programme who expected his sheets to be changed every night he was staying there. Apparantly he had 'flakey' skin, didnt bother telling the hotel, he expected them to ask him if he had any condition that required his sheets to be changed. Dont suppose you got the programme in New Hampshire but he was a right sad bastard who needs a good slap