Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solomon Cross Max Trail Shoes

Solomon Cross Max Trail Shoes

I'm looking for some new trail shoes for training i.e. something that will get me out of town on pavement's and paths before making my way on to trails and hills. I've previously used the Brooks Cascadia, but the latest update is poor (they played around with the grip and midsole).

I'm tempted to try the new Solomon Cross Max which is advertised as a shoe for "door to trail". Does anyone on the forum have any experience with this shoe? I know that the Speedcross are popular with some members, but I'll trash the grip running from my front door before hitting the trails!

Thanks all.

Re: Solomon Cross Max Trail Sh

I often have to run half a mile or so on tarmac to get to the fells in my X-Talons or Roclite 312's. Needs must etc. Go for the best shoe for the surface you'll be running on. I find the 312's excellent for what it sounds like you need as they have 4 arrow cushioning (the most Inov-8 do) so you'll be pretty well protected on the pavements for a mile or 2.

Thanks for the reply Jez.

Not a massive fan of Inov-8 to be honest, except for the X-Talon which I use for racing. I've had a pair of 315's in the past but found them narrow which results in pain in my feet.

It's frustrating that Brooks have changed the Cascadia, as I have used it for everything from training on the road to racing, including the Yorkshire 3 Peaks amongst others. Why do shoe companies insist on changing products that are just fine as they are?! Brooks have a new trail shoe (the "Trail Blade" I think it's called) but the grip is lacking, particulary with the best of the winter weather yet to arrive!

I'm up in the Lake District this weekend so will have a shop around. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Tom Smith; 03-11-2011 at 02:28 PM.

I have a pair of cross max and they are superb! They are more comfortable than my Saucony Omin's over 13 miles of canal and road mix. They offer a pronation version. I am a medium pronator and opted for the neutral as most totally off road shoes are so and getting your foot used to pronation control off road is not a good idea in my opinion as your style and foor strength needs training, not untraining. The Crossmax's are light, very well cushioned, very comfotable, have a pretty aggressive outsole in comparison to the XT's and Slab Xts (not the softground version). The outsole is also long lasting, I have hammered tons of miles in them as a training shoe and they are still good. On my next ultra that has a lot of hard compact and road surface I will be using these. The Ultras I have done have never been severe enough ground to warrant a more aggressive sole. Hunt around, I got my Size 7.5's for £50, they seem to be c'est expensive at the moment. The standard Solamon XT's are also super comfy and v.good on roads and track and there are some good discount prices around everywhere at the mo. I got mine form chain rection for £60.00 from £90.00.

I have the XDA's, XT wings and Crossmax, the Xt's are the best in my opinion, only pipping the Crossmax on comfort by 0000.1% as they are both like slippers compared to other brands.

Hope the feedback helps?
    Last edited by Probo; 03-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Not been down the Crossmax road.

But I have been using these since late June.

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/SAL65

Best all round running shoe I have ever had. Amazing comfort. Switches between surfaces brilliantly.

I did the Cumbrian Traverse from Broughton Mills to Keswick in a pair on a damp then wet August day, 35 miles and 20 plus peaks. Grip is way beyond what I expected.

Still using them on all my off-road runs at the moment.

Not cheap but I'm happy to pay. Lasting well too.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

I'd second the S-lab's without trying them. The Xts are the slightly cheaper version. the Slab can only be an improvement on an amazing cheaper shoes the Xt range. My advice would say, try the Xt's out first if you don't want to break the bank and if they suit, upgrade. The Slab 3's are on my Xmas list as my next shoe for Racing in (I will still use and buy the XT for training). Although I really want to see the softground model in person before I buy as the sole is far more aggressive. However, I have a bad feeling that it will be made of the same rubber as the Speedcross's, aggressive yes, wear off like a block of mature Cheddar on your soles, yes. No good for anything else apart from grass and muddy surfaces. I made be pleasantly surprised though???

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Unfortunately, I think the S-Labs and XT's will provide to much pronation control for me - I'm very much a netural runner, and often find that even neutral shoes provide too much support depending on the brand, model etc.

I'm in Keswick at the weekend so will head for Up & Running and see if I can find some Cross Max to try. There are some good deals around on the internet but I've never had Salomon shoes before so need to try before I buy! Does anyone know of any other Solomon stockists in the Lake District?

I'd reccomend them, I wanted some trail shoes and bought them on the basis of this review:-
    http://www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk/20...n-xr-crossmax/
    Although I got them mainly as a trail shoe, I was recovering from a back injury and wanted better cushioning for fell running too. I first used them in the Snowdon fell race and they were fine for that but I also found them useable on a Peris horseshoe recce and a few other fell runs too. They are a great trail/road shoe. These are the first Salomon shoes I've had and I really like the lacing system.

Quote Originally Posted by Probo View Post
    Although I really want to see the softground model in person before I buy as the sole is far more aggressive. However, I have a bad feeling that it will be made of the same rubber as the Speedcross's, aggressive yes, wear off like a block of mature Cheddar on your soles, yes. No good for anything else apart from grass and muddy surfaces. I made be pleasantly surprised though???
    Probo

Not so I'm pleased to say.

I haven't got a pair of S Lab 4s yet; still got 2 pairs of 3s in use. So take these comments carefully.

I have seen the softground 4s in the flesh in Settle. The sole is not made of the black Speedcross rubber but appears to be of the same composite as the 3s and the 4 hardground; plenty of the red rubber compound.

Very tempting to have a pair of hardground and softground 4s when the 3s are all to hell and gone.

That said, I did 9 plus hours of the CCC in a huge thunderstorm in August in the 3s and the grip was fine; not sure if the softground will bite back after 60 plus miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Unfortunately, I think the S-Labs and XT's will provide to much pronation control for me - I'm very much a netural runner, and often find that even neutral shoes provide too much support depending on the brand, model
    Tom, Salomon do a Crossmax neutral.

And there is less of an arch post in the S Labs than in an XA Pro for instance.