Thread: Legal advice please

Legal advice please

Something kicked off out of nothing today around where i love concerning the right for me to park, clarification of my legal position would be appreciated.

Around our street/yard we are the only people who own our house, the rest are let out along with a few industrial units by Mr C. The lad at No3 has moved in and is renting the house, 2 units, and rights to park on the whole area- he's setting up a business. They accidentally took our wheelie bin a few days ago and used it thinking it was theirs, when my mother found out she emptied the contents on to their doorstep and walked off with our bin empty. The lad and his mrs have told us both that we are no longer to park on Mr C's property, as they are renting it from him, and that one word from them to Mr C will result in our cars being towed away without notice. I've tried to reason, and apologised hundreds of times, but Mr C appears to have poisoned their minds a bit prior to the incident; Mr C and us have a long and fairly colourful history.

Do they actually have the right to do what they're threatening to do? We have a driveway, but it's too full of our kid's crap for us both to park in it and it's only a single entrance which won't work with 2 people using it even if it was clear. The threats sound to me like theft, but it happens all the time in Haworth doesn't it?

I've managed to strike a deal that nothing will happen until notice is issued in writing, my mum isn't fussed and is going to wait and see. Advice?

Cheers.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Re: Legal advice please

I would go to the citizens advice bureau and see what they say.

The law to stop clamping and towing away on private land comes into force at the end of this year I believe. Up till then I suppose they could do it if you are parked on their land ?

The fact that the owner has taken no action on your parking to date could imply passive consent? If he wants you to change your parking now then I would think he would have to give you a reasonable amount of time for you to make other arrangements in that case. Such as till after the new law comes in :thumbup:

Alternatively you could leave a mink's head in his bed
    No country for old men.

Sounds like your Mum was a bit OTT if what they did accidentally take your bin - maybe you should evict her

They can only tow your car away or clamp it if they have the correct legally worded signs up. They can't just tow your car away.

The citizen's advice bureau are uncontactable, straight to recorded advice all the time. Me and our kid have managed to sort it out pretty much, the lad's mrs is a right loudmouth and a bad influence on him, the men talked it over this aft and things should be ok. Interestingly, if you've parked somewhere for over 15yrs you automatically have right to continue to park there under our circumstances, mum found that out from a solicitor. Passive consent is the way it's always been Alf.

Taken you this long to figure that one out eh? Girls love stoking up a fight for their men to take on. Well done on negotiating past that one! Give the bloke a spin in yer 924 as a prize!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Give the bloke a spin in yer 924 as a prize!
    It's gone to sleep for the winter, i'm in a Skoda 120 at the moment....yes, that's the Soviet one!