Thread: Pain in the heel

Pain in the heel

Hi Folks

I have a pain in my right heel, and the left but the right is worse. Its not more sore in the mornings when i get out of bed does that mean i can rule out PF. Seeing a podiatrist in two weeks

Thanks in advance

Master

Re: Pain in the heel

Back of the heel or under the heel? Is there a lump or tender spot? When does it hurt? Have you changed shoes recently?

Thanks Mike, back of the heel and under it, not changed my shoes well actually i have, new pair but same model of xtalons. Training for an ultra so more time on my feet and on the hills. Hardly suprising really i suppose. Just bl@@dy frustrating

I had and still get if I'm not careful a pain under my heels (mainly right but a tiny bit in the left) which for ages I assumed was PF. Is worse after I've ran a bit more than usual ("more time on my feet and on the hills"). My physio actually put it down to my having a stiff lower back and, sure enough, if I concentrate on back mobility exercises, relaxation, massage etc it goes away. Same principle as most calf pain (acute - not the ache I've currently got from yesterdays Clwydian outing) is down to a problem in the lower back area. Might not be teh same but core stability, strength and mobility is never a bad thing.

Hey r3, you mentioned that you have changed shoes- but only insofar as getting a new pair of x-talons. I may be incorrect in thinking this, but a club-mate mentioned that when he bought a new pair of x-talons recently they had one less (or maybe thats more?!) lace hole than his previous versions. Maybe someone else can corroborate this - or shoot me down in flames- whichever is correct... but just because you have the same shoes as you had last time doesnt necessarily mean that they are the "same" if you get what Im trying to say.

Im guessing that you have also upped your mileage as well, if you are training for an ultra. Would it be fair to say that the issue has appeared since upping the miles? Just out of interest, do you do any recovery practices for your legs and your feet- like ice baths (brrrrr), contrast showers, foam rollering, massage, or anything of the like? It might be worth thinking about active recovery and getting some of the inevitable restrictions out of your muscles and fascia.
    Nigel makes a good point in that it could well be a lower back issue that is causing an issue through fascia down through your hamstring to your heel, it might not be, but it is in his case.

so, a rambling post, but to pare it down a bit, could be the shoes, could be the increased mileage, could be the lack of recovery (active and passive)- which can definitely make a difference- or it could be a strength/stability issue.
    did that help in any way, shape or form?

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, i am new here and impressed with the friendliness, cheers !

Seeing the physio this morning at 9:30, interesting what was said about the lower back, also had a lot of tightness in my calves, as for recovery, i aways swim on a Monday, and cycle regularly (i come from triathlon background). Saw the doctor yesterday who confirmed its not PF phew!, lets see what the physio says.

As for the shoes, i seem to recall when pitting them on that they laced differently, anyway, cant seem to get on with the mudclaw and the xtalons are not man enough for 3 or 4 hour outings (IMO) so have just gone done the walsh route - makes me feel like a "proper" fell runner even if i am hobbling across the tops with my crook injuries.

Oh and ice baths yes, last season when i was doing longer stuff than i am now, so i will do it again, and as for massage, my 14 yr old son earns most of his pocket money from massaging my calves

Just checked the old x talons, they have 4 lace holes with a fifth right next to the fourth, the new pair have 6 more evenly placed lace holes

Master

I suspect the new X Talons are at least a contributing factor here - have you steamed the heels? I always do this with new pairs of Inov8s.

Boo-Yah!
    Steaming the heels, getting used them as if they are different shoes, a bit of massage, and some icebaths and with luck, happy days!