Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running in Essex/Suffolk

Running in Essex/Suffolk

Does anyone know any off road clubs in either region?

I'm relocating in 4 weeks and will miss these hills up north!
    I'll be in Essex for a few months and then resettle in Suffolk based around the Ipswich area I think (depends on jobs)

Be good to know what there is available - there MUST be some hills somewhere
    Wants to see the Old Fella again SOON!

Re: Running in Essex/Suffolk

Quote Originally Posted by Egglett View Post
    Does anyone know any off road clubs in either region?

I'm relocating in 4 weeks and will miss these hills up north!
    I'll be in Essex for a few months and then resettle in Suffolk based around the Ipswich area I think (depends on jobs)

Be good to know what there is available - there MUST be some hills somewhere
    Hi Egglett,

I moved back to God's own country 12 years ago after spending 13 years in Felixstowe. There are one or two little rises but to be honest, a hill in East Anglia is probably defined as any rise more than 20 ft or so (...seriously! ).

Club-wise, I know of no off-road (only) clubs I'm afraid. Around the Ipswich area there's Ipswich Jaffa (the largest club in the region...equivalent to Bingley here). Smaller, and I would say better, are either Felixstowe Road Runners (the club I used to run with) or Woodbridge pacers. Hill training in Felixstowe was actually not too bad as there are 3 or 4 hills up from the seafront (effectively up the cliff). But again...please don't get your hopes up too much. Each rep was probably about 30-40 seconds up.

The cross-country scene is quite good though, and the one at Framligham around the Castle is particularly enjoyable as I recall

Happy to chat through in more detail. I'll be at Kettlewell (BOFRA) next Sunday (17th), Weets on the Weds afterwards (20th), Helm Hill (BOFRA) on 24th, and Beamsley Beacon on 27th if you're around at any of these. Unfortunately I'll not be at Buckden this Sat as...I'll be in Felixstowe seeing my daughter!
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

You might want to check out Springfield Striders - www.springfieldstriders.org.uk

They have a strong cross-country/fell section, and even organise their own club fell championship each year, though admittedly most of the qualifying races have to take place where the hills are, ie in the north.

Springfield always bring a strong contingent up to the Calder Valley Midsummer Madness weekend. They'll be there again in a fortnight - all three races are in their championship. I guess if you're travelling that distance, several races in a weekend is a good idea.

They're based in Chelmsford though, which might be too far out of your new area.
    Last edited by Tussockface; 10-06-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to put in location!

Thanks Stick.. much as I thought!! I'm from Felixstowe orginally so I know all the hills well..specially bent hill!! LOL..

I expect that my training will change to cross country and I'll just have to work on hills somehow - hmmm if you ran up bent hill and down along the front past tourist info and up that hill and down and repeat?? LOL. not quite sure that's good enough prep for next years Tiger Torr though

Good news about the clubs though so thanks for that
    Enjoy the Felixstowe visit - hope it's unny for you ice cream on the front still one of my fav things in life

Tissockface.. I'll be in essex to start with and that's not that far to go even when I am based in Suffolk. so that's brill as well..

Somewhere in the northen wastelands of Sheffield

Hi Egg,
    These peeps may be worth looking up when you are in essex.... http://www.pitsea-runners.freeserve.co.uk/
    They did have three runners at Hunshelf Amble yesterday so they must have some regular fell runners. Good luck in the flat lands
    Heaven doesn't want me and hell's afraid I'll take over

Was busy organising a race last week so have only just seen this thread. There are at least three Springfield Striders on this forum and there is generally at least a couple of people going to a fell race at least once a month if not more often.

As Tussockface has already mentioned we have our own championship. We always go to Long Mynd in Feb and Midsummer Madness in June but the white and gold vests will be at Callow, Pen y Fan, Borrowdale, Stretton Skyline, Great Whernside, British Relays and Cardington plus many more.

We train on a single puny 300 foot hill but it is a beautiful area with acres of woodland. You'll be pleasantly surprised how nice rural Essex is.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    There are at least three Springfield Striders on this forum
    If you let me know who they are, I can give a shout out to them in the Calder Valley! I'll be marshalling Wicken Hill and Tom Tittiman, and probably running the Bogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    If you let me know who they are, I can give a shout out to them in the Calder Valley! I'll be marshalling Wicken Hill and Tom Tittiman, and probably running the Bogs.
    Daftasabrush will be our first or second lady, Oleg Beavis will be recognisable by his shorts (and will probably have a pint in his hand at the start) and of course yours truly will be there (near the back)

Norfolk has some hills
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009