Thread: Whitby - any route ideas?

Whitby - any route ideas?

I'm in Whitby this weekend, Never been there / don't know the area at all and would like to get a couple of runs in. Maybe a couple of 2 - 3 hrs, nothing too epic!

Does anyone have any route suggestions, I've ordered a map and can nav no problem, so just some pointers of nice routes!

Cheers
    James

Re: Whitby - any route ideas?

Run the Cleveland Way costal path,run out towards Staithes and run back, some great views through Sandsend, Hinderwell Port Mulgrave etc.
    I live not to far from Staithes so if you have any queries ,just pm me or follow up on the forum.
    regards
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.E Knott View Post
    Run the Cleveland Way costal path,run out towards Staithes and run back, some great views through Sandsend, Hinderwell Port Mulgrave etc.
    I live not to far from Staithes so if you have any queries ,just pm me or follow up on the forum.
    regards
    Mark
    Spot on.

If you go the other way on the Cleveland Way you can link it in with the old railway line that goes out towards Robin Hoods Bay and Scarborough.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Following on from the cleveland way suggestions you can add some hills by running down to each bay and back up as well. Port Mulgrave is fairly unusual and even has it's own mini population of people living in/spending time in little huts and beached boats etc. (or at least it did when we walked down to it a couple of years back).

Another cracking place is Littlebeck, I can't remember the exact route but I've ran round there before through the woodland past the Hermits cave (very interesting) and up to Falling Foss, there's supposed to be otters round those parts too. Failing that, a beach run is always nice if the tides in your favour...
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by James_A_Smith View Post
    I'm in Whitby this weekend, Never been there / don't know the area at all and would like to get a couple of runs in. Maybe a couple of 2 - 3 hrs, nothing too epic!

Does anyone have any route suggestions, I've ordered a map and can nav no problem, so just some pointers of nice routes!

Cheers
    James
    As Danbert said, the clift top Cleveland Way path to Robin Hoods Bay is a lovely undulating run. To get on to the path go up the 199 steps and past the Abbey. It's about 7 miles to Robin Hoods Bay, then you could run up the disused railway line towards Hawsker and drop back on to the Cleveland Way to run back to Whitby again.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 08-11-2011 at 09:34 AM.

If you fancy a long run pick up the old railway route at Hawsker just outside Whitby and follow it along the cliffs to Scarborough via Ravenscar and then catch the bus back. I've done it on the mountain bike a few times and its a great run and not particularly hard

Great - couple of options there which sound perfect, thanks all!

1.Run to Saltburn from Whitby along the Cleveland way and then get the bus back

2.Run to Sandsend and then up through Mulgrave woods past the old castle and then back up to Whitby

3. Over to Robins Hood bay along the Cleveland way

4. Go through Ruswarp along the river over to Littlebeck, through Littlebeck to Maybeck up over the moors back to whitby

5. From littlebeck up to High Quebec over to Goathland moor down the Murk Esk from Grosmont and back

6. From Maybeck woods up through the forest to lilla howe and Fylingdales and then back to jugger Howe and drop into Littlebeck again

7. Danby beacon from Ugthorpe lodge

8. Glaisdale rigg to Fryup

The last couple you would need to drive out to - and also if you are going the other side of Littlebeck. Check out Goathland though and the Cleveland way - great running territory. enjoy!

How did the runs go,where did you stay.