Thread: Problem with Mudclaw Studs???

Problem with Mudclaw Studs???

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone else experienced problems with the heel studs ripping off their Mudclaws (272s specifically) ?? I bought a new pair (my third) the other day and after just a few outings all four heel studs on the right foot have developed a crack at the leading edge of the stud, one stud is hanging on by a thread. I reckon this has to be a manufacturing fault and I emailed Inov-8 about it yesterday with some piccies, they've asked me to post them back for "examination". I hate spending good money on gear that turns out to be faulty ...... I sincerely hope they don't try and pass this off as wear and tear, one stud I could accept - but all four??

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Super Moderator

Re: Problem with Mudclaw Studs

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, has anyone else experienced problems with the heel studs ripping off their Mudclaws (272s specifically) ?? I bought a new pair (my third) the other day and after just a few outings all four heel studs on the right foot have developed a crack at the leading edge of the stud, one stud is hanging on by a thread. I reckon this has to be a manufacturing fault and I emailed Inov-8 about it yesterday with some piccies, they've asked me to post them back for "examination". I hate spending good money on gear that turns out to be faulty ...... I sincerely hope they don't try and pass this off as wear and tear, one stud I could accept - but all four??

Martyn
    Sounds like some kind of quality issue with your particular pair of shoes to me
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Bought a pair of Inov8 mudclaws a year or so back, and within three weeks all the studs had sheared off the right of the pair, didn't try for a refund or a replacement 'cos I hated them so much anyway, they turned my feet into chopped liver.

No, this shouldn't happen. You could get unlucky & lose a stud, but I never have. You should expect them to wear down, & the top will probably go before the sole if my 270s are anything to go by (3 pairs, 2 still in use).
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I lost 2 studs on my first pair of 270s. I have had two pairs of 270s since then with no stud related problems.

Wheres an insider when you need one:closed:
    We could of at least got an understanding if this was a common fault or a one off.

It happened with my mudroc and Blands replaced them, basically are they smooth underneath the stud? If so its not been sliced off but a void has.formed when being made. Send them back either way.
    Ben

There has been a happy ending to this: I contacted Inov-8 directly and they have sent me a brand new pair, so thank you Inov-8 - some good customer service there.

If I'm going to moan at all, well, it's a shame they didn't arrive before Saturday and then I could have worn them for the Tour of Pendle - I had to wear my old shoes and ended up on my ar*e a bit more than I'd have liked!

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners