Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to try fell running.

Re: Looking to try fell runnin

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Mind you I've been doing a few headtorch runs up on the moor there recently and, after dark, its a darn spooky and lonely place
    The spooky thing gets to me too. Take my local woods, for example. I've never seen anything even remotely dodgy happening there but, turn the lights out, and you can imagine a place filled with hoodies and other ne'er do wells. I think I'd prefer the moors. Less places for people to hide in wait for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    The spooky thing gets to me too. Take my local woods, for example. I've never seen anything even remotely dodgy happening there but, turn the lights out, and you can imagine a place filled with hoodies and other ne'er do wells. I think I'd prefer the moors. Less places for people to hide in wait for me!
    I run on my own on the moors and in the dark a lot this time of year. I always think if someone wants to climb up there in the cold and rain to mug me then good luck to them!! The scariest thing I've encountered was a herd of cows last night...

You can't go wrong with an Alpkit Gamma headtorch either - £12.50.

Hi there from a fellow vegan!
    Hope you're enjoying the fell running, the best advice I would give is to get yourself along to a fell club, if there is one a reasonable distance from you, and so some runs with them. Most of my most enjoyable runs have been on training nights or out reccying for races rather than the actual races. You'll also meet a bunch of likeminded folk who you can discuss kit with and talk about nice races/routes to run.
    There is a list of clubs websites here.

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/links.php

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Hi Martin.
    Are you the same Martin who knows some of my Ackworth club-mates, & I think ran our 'Priory 5' (sorry, can't remember your surname)
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 27-12-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    Hi Martin.
    Are you the same Martin who knows some of my Ackworth club-mates, & I think ran our 'Priory 5' (sorry, can't remember your surname)
    That would be me. The Priory 5 was great. It was bit sketchy coming down from the Obelisk in road shoes. Luckily I'd left my brain and brakes at home. Hoping to run it in 2012 depending on the date.

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    Luckily I'd left my brain and brakes at home. Hoping to run it in 2012 depending on the date.
    Don't think Stewart's set a date yet, but it'll probably be in July (again?)
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Might be able to do it then. I only have the Lakeland Trails marathon and the Sherwood Pines 10k in July. Hopefully it won't rain....again!

Personally I recommend a thermal shirt, Helly Hansen or similar. A pair of light/medium weight tights. A light/medium weight fleecy top. A pertex windproof. A pair of light weight gloves and a thermal balaclava. A light rucksack/big bumbag to carry a Buffalo type jacket and a set of waterproofs....plus usual compass, relevant map and whistle. Oh! and shoes and socks for running in!...then just go find some paths and sheep trods etc! Run until you reach nirvana!!! :

Do a few races in the summer......

...or collapse into a bog with your lungs hanging out of your arse. Whichever comes first.
    I know which does with me, but my dog insists on running on the moors.

Ha ha. Sounds like fun. Going to have a go at the Giant's Tooth on Sunday. I don't want to jump in too deep but it looks interesting.