Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to try fell running.

Looking to try fell running.

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few months now and thought I'd sign up finally. I'm a 40 year old runner from West Yorkshire who loves trail running. Stop sniggering at the back. I'm hoping that some fell running and/or races will help to build up my overall fitness and improve my running on longer trail runs.

I'm not sure where to start when it comes to beginners fell running. It has been suggested that I have a crack at the Giant's Tooth run over at Ogden Moor. I don't want to do anything too hard at first or anything that means I've got to buy all the kit before I can run although I do appreciate the necessity of said kit at many events. Taped seams? Bum bags? I'm drawing a line at the odd shorts you all wear. Just kidding.

So, hope to get some good run tips and maybe see some of you out on the hills. I'll be the one cursing every time my Salomons get muddy. Seriously, they're works of art.

Thanks for reading,
    Martin.

Re: Looking to try fell runnin

Welcome aboard Vegan.

I'm fairly new to the fells myself and recomend you just give it a go. If you like it (and I'm sure you will), you'll know more about what kind of events you want to enter. I tend to like the longer races on the hills. It does not mean you have to give up trail running either. I still do a fair bit on road (despite the abuse I get here)!
    As winter draws in - a lot of the kit becomes mandatory. After one bad experience - I found out why.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few months now and thought I'd sign up finally. I'm a 40 year old runner from West Yorkshire who loves trail running. Stop sniggering at the back. I'm hoping that some fell running and/or races will help to build up my overall fitness and improve my running on longer trail runs.

I'm not sure where to start when it comes to beginners fell running. It has been suggested that I have a crack at the Giant's Tooth run over at Ogden Moor. I don't want to do anything too hard at first or anything that means I've got to buy all the kit before I can run although I do appreciate the necessity of said kit at many events. Taped seams? Bum bags? I'm drawing a line at the odd shorts you all wear. Just kidding.

So, hope to get some good run tips and maybe see some of you out on the hills. I'll be the one cursing every time my Salomons get muddy. Seriously, they're works of art.

Thanks for reading,
    Martin.
    The kit doesn't cost much a set of Reggatta pack-away waterproofs, a whistle, compas and bumbag can all be bought for less than £50. If you do a bit of walking you might have it already anyway.

You don't need OMM jackets and fancy stuff unless you're planning to do a lot of running in ii. For most races waterproofs are emergency kit - you don't wear them unless you have to (there are exceptions of course).

At this time of year I wouldn't run without it, you'll get hypothermia very quickly waiting for a MRT to get you if you badly injure yourself!

It doesn't have to be an epic Lakeland Classic to get yourself into a pickle.....

Hi all,

Thanks for reading,
    Martin.
    welcome Martin

With regard to kit just have a search through the kit threads, masses of stuff on there, if there is then some thing specific you need to know put it on.

I'd forget it pal - the fells are full to their limit.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    welcome Martin

With regard to kit just have a search through the kit threads, masses of stuff on there, if there is then some thing specific you need to know put it on.
    Thanks all for the welcomes, warm and er... not so.

The kit thing I've already looked into. Just need to be paid again. Really I'm after recommendations for entry level fell runs. Something that makes me go "I'll have more of that" rather than "bugger that".

I'm in the Wakefield/Leeds area and obviously prepared to travel. I've run up to Simon's Seat before which was fun. I'd like to explore more of that area. Same with the Ladybower/Derwent/Howden reservoirs area. Anything really so long as it isn't crowded (see above).

I'm not a native of these parts so might be missing some obvious (or not so obvious) areas.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I'd forget it pal - the fells are full to their limit.
    Welcome Vegan Runner - I think you can ignore WPs post above as I think it relates to a 'heated debate' on another thread and is completely unnecessary here.

Welcome,
    Where to start? Your nearest open moor or fell. Simply look at a map, choose a footpath and set off, run as much as you can, walk where you need to. Actually, the footpath is optional if you're on open access land, but I suggest you stick to them at first for simplicity's sake - but possibly smaller, less obvious ones than those you'd use on trail runs. We sometimes make it all sound complicated on here, but in reality it's still just running. If you want to be up at the front in races you will have to develop the more technical skills of descending quickly, foot placement, line choice, etc. (none of which I've come close to mastering yet) but don't worry about those technicalities to start with, just enjoy the open fells. HOWEVER, you do need to think about the technicalities of kit, especially at this time of year. And not just for races. In fact I would argue I need more kit with me when I'm out alone on the fells since it would probably then take longer to get help. But, as others have said, you don't have to buy the top range stuff. As long as you're not worried about being trendy and want this season's colours, models, etc. you can usually pick up end-of-line and similar fairly cheaply.
    If you're going onto hills you don't know well, remember you're map and compass!

Quote Originally Posted by Latege View Post
    Welcome,
    Where to start? Your nearest open moor or fell. Simply look at a map, choose a footpath and set off, run as much as you can, walk where you need to. Actually, the footpath is optional if you're on open access land, but I suggest you stick to them at first for simplicity's sake - but possibly smaller, less obvious ones than those you'd use on trail runs. We sometimes make it all sound complicated on here, but in reality it's still just running. If you want to be up at the front in races you will have to develop the more technical skills of descending quickly, foot placement, line choice, etc. (none of which I've come close to mastering yet) but don't worry about those technicalities to start with, just enjoy the open fells. HOWEVER, you do need to think about the technicalities of kit, especially at this time of year. And not just for races. In fact I would argue I need more kit with me when I'm out alone on the fells since it would probably then take longer to get help. But, as others have said, you don't have to buy the top range stuff. As long as you're not worried about being trendy and want this season's colours, models, etc. you can usually pick up end-of-line and similar fairly cheaply.
    If you're going onto hills you don't know well, remember you're map and compass!
    What a reply. Thank you. I'm a bit of a kit fiend to be honest so I'm loving the research that comes before a purchase. I totally agree with you about maybe needing more with you when you're on your own (especially at this time of year). There are runs that I've plotted that I know I can manage physically but I've put them off because I don't have the necessary stuff should something go wrong. When I ran up to Simon's Seat it was in the middle of summer (cloudy, raining, the usual) and when I got up there I knew straight away that my windproof top would have been way out of its depth should the worst happen. I was actually glad to get back down again TBH. Not really done anything like that since mostly due to not having the right equipment.

Lesson learnt though and no harm done. Will go shopping then running.

Hi all,

Thanks for reading,
    Martin.
    I'm never quite sure what trail running is but I'd say that fell running is much the same as trail running but with a higher quotient of hills. I'm not sure about the Giant's Tooth race but I run on Ogden Moor and various complicated loops of the woods around the reservoir quite a lot and, so long as you make the most of the hilly bits, its a brilliant place to run out. And its not what I'd call dodgy either as you are always relatively near civilisation so running alone you don't have to get all kitted out. Mind you I've been doing a few headtorch runs up on the moor there recently and, after dark, its a darn spooky and lonely place