Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Spine

I was agreeing with Geronimo

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    but the main thing is that my two horses are both still in the race!!
    Me too!
    Do what you like, like what you do

I think Geronimo's question, although about The Spine, impinges on the essence of fell running. There is a fundamental "contract" between competitors and ROs that applies to all fell and equivalent events: all that alters is the degree of hazard.

The RO chooses to provide a challenge but not something that is so hazardous that a fatality is likely/ probable etc and the competitors trust the RO not to route them up a vertical rock face or along an exposed windy ridge in the depths of winter.

These were issues that underpinned the Brian Belfield Inquest. To what extent can a RO be guilty of manslaughter in an event where runners had elected to participate in a sport that most people would think madness? The Coroner wisely pointed out that he should not stop people doing things they enjoyed just because most people would consider them foolhardy.

Negligence has to be balanced against volunteer competitors/ essential nature of the sport.

Whether it is a village gala race for juniors or The Spine the same fundamental decisions have to be made -all that alters is the degree. Not having a marshal at a turn in a summer fete race that allows a junior to venture onto and get lost on a moor is not a trivial failure of judgement.

As to The Spine. The RO are providing a major challenge for volunteers. Everyone knows there will always be weather in January and it will alter every year and every year the RO will have to make their calls with regard to safety, as they are doing in 2015.

Remembering that they always, always have to err on the side of caution. And that it is just a race.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Graham, that is possibly the best, most sensible post wrote on safety and RO responsibility that I have seen on here.
    Good going down !!

Well put Mr Breeze.
    See you at KW tonight in the wind and rain then............. :-)
    See the light in the night

But of course (if not off course)!

G
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

thanks for the response Graham
    looks like 91 Eoin has finished just ahead of Pavel No1 but Pavel will win it on deducted time I guess.
    Anyway Joe Faulkner is still going. fantastic effort

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    Anyway Joe Faulkner is still going. fantastic effort
    and although they're showing up as last place he and Mark R were passed by lots of people on the low level short cut while they battled the elements on Cross Fell, presumably adjustments will be made for that at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    and although they're showing up as last place he and Mark R were passed by lots of people on the low level short cut while they battled the elements on Cross Fell, presumably adjustments will be made for that at some point
    I believe that any one who completes the full course will automatically be in front of those who took the low level short cut.

Well, looks like my two horses did me proud... despite several handicaps, they romped home in 3rd and 6th places... excellent result, but all the finishers are stars.

Especially feel for Javed who has been on his own for days!!
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"