Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ultramarathon Man

Re: Ultramarathon Man

I read this to try and inspire me to run more. I thought it was quite a good read, but I did think he was a bit arrogant and I also felt a quite sorry for hs family!!

I read it and was impressed with the running bits-the 'All American How Good Am I' bullshit turned me off completely though.
    Still too heavy to run

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    Haven't seen this particular book but for anyone who hasn't read it can I suggest Mike Cudahys 'Wild Trails to Far Horizons' - still pretty inspirational although a few years old, very relevant to long distance fell runing as opposed to road marathons etc.

It's for sale on Amazon - 4 at £46.50 second hand and 1 collectable at £70! !

I got DK's book in 2005 and was captivated by his story, though I did detect some - how shall I put it kindly - 'dramatic licence' at times (e.g. how could he scoff all that pizza, cheesecake and coffee in one go while running a personal ultra, when he's only used to eating salmon?). I did find "The Soiling Of The Lexus" hilarious, though, and I don't usually laugh at others' misfortune.
    I was sufficiently inspired to have a go at Western States in 2006 (the sauna year), where I actually got to shake hands with Da Man. See photo 29 in the 2006 Western States pictures in the following link:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26082075@N05/sets/
    Having completed the race, dramatic licence was confirmed unequivocally. Nonetheless I still find UM an inspiring read, having read it three times at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    I got DK's book in 2005 and was captivated by his story, though I did detect some - how shall I put it kindly - 'dramatic licence' at times (e.g. how could he scoff all that pizza, cheesecake and coffee in one go while running a personal ultra, when he's only used to eating salmon?). I did find "The Soiling Of The Lexus" hilarious, though, and I don't usually laugh at others' misfortune.
    I was sufficiently inspired to have a go at Western States in 2006 (the sauna year), where I actually got to shake hands with Da Man. See photo 29 in the 2006 Western States pictures in the following link:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26082075@N05/sets/
    Having completed the race, dramatic licence was confirmed unequivocally. Nonetheless I still find UM an inspiring read, having read it three times at least.
    Hi Nick

Good pictures on your site, they might even inspire me to have a go in 2011

See you out some where on the trail later this year.

Ian