Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sports drinks/salt replacement

Re: Sports drinks/salt replace

Timothy Taylors

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Hello! I'm looking for advice on electrolyte replacement.

A series of recent blackouts has been diagnosed as vasovagal syncope and I have been put on tablets to raise my blood pressure. I have also been advised to increase my salt intake and keep hydrated. Can anyone recommend electrolyte replacement products that are a bit more reliable than some squash with a pinch of salt added. I've used Nuuns in the past for longer events/runs and while I'm really happy with them would prefer something a bit cheaper for everyday use, particularly the short runs...

Cheers,

Rob
    These truly are by far the best in fact you could almost say they are clinically proven in as much as they as used medically for electrolyte replacement, ok they are not the most palatable of potions but the amount you are actually drinking is so small taste is not an issue, Cheapest and most reliable electrolyte replacement by far that I have found:-

http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stor...&y=8#container
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master

These products may well be useful - in that they are readily portable/palatable in a race context, but for every day consumption in addition to an ordinary diet they are basically just overpriced over packaged salt - and sometimes they have some dodgy substances in addition to the salt.

Firstly, thanks to all who have replied!

Secondly, I should clarify the history. After a series of 'episodes' back in Feb/Mar I was diagnosed with epilepsy and put on anti-convulsants. After being transferred to a different neurology clinic the doctor wondered whether there could have been a misdiagnosis and I went through a series of tests which showed I suffered from vasovagal syncope. This is apparently resulting from a congenital problem with my heart's pacemaker. When I have an attack (not really sure what triggers it) my pulse slows right down (25-30 bpm) which results in a massive drop in blood pressure. My blood pressure is normal, not low, and these recommendations (I'm prescribed a steroid so that my kidneys keep salt in my blood resulting in increased blood volume and pressure) are supposed to help keep my blood pressure up when I have one of these attacks. One thing I really need to avoid is drinking loads of water if I have lost lots of salt (i.e. sweated a lot) hence an electrolyte drink. Clearly in the long term (bearing in mind I'm only 35 (!?)) I don't want to be taking meds that give me high blood pressure and I'll probably end up having a pacemaker fitted sometime next year just to take over when my heart rate drops too low.

Thirdly, once I've been titrated off my epilepsy medication I will be returning to Timothy Taylors as the preferred recovery drink.

Thanks again for the advice,

Dr (soon to be bionic?) Bob

I'd go with the myprotein product. Highly rated and at about 30 servings for just over £8 it's far cheaper than the others.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Master

Saxo is 80p per Kg.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Firstly, thanks to all who have replied!

Secondly, I should clarify the history. After a series of 'episodes' back in Feb/Mar I was diagnosed with epilepsy and put on anti-convulsants. After being transferred to a different neurology clinic the doctor wondered whether there could have been a misdiagnosis and I went through a series of tests which showed I suffered from vasovagal syncope. This is apparently resulting from a congenital problem with my heart's pacemaker. When I have an attack (not really sure what triggers it) my pulse slows right down (25-30 bpm) which results in a massive drop in blood pressure. My blood pressure is normal, not low, and these recommendations (I'm prescribed a steroid so that my kidneys keep salt in my blood resulting in increased blood volume and pressure) are supposed to help keep my blood pressure up when I have one of these attacks. One thing I really need to avoid is drinking loads of water if I have lost lots of salt (i.e. sweated a lot) hence an electrolyte drink. Clearly in the long term (bearing in mind I'm only 35 (!?)) I don't want to be taking meds that give me high blood pressure and I'll probably end up having a pacemaker fitted sometime next year just to take over when my heart rate drops too low.

Thirdly, once I've been titrated off my epilepsy medication I will be returning to Timothy Taylors as the preferred recovery drink.

Thanks again for the advice,

Dr (soon to be bionic?) Bob
    I assume the "steroid" is fludrocortisone - increases BP by making the blood vessels smaller - vasoconstriction - and causing a degree of salt/water retention. If you were older I suspect they would be putting in a pacemaker sooner rather than later.

Mike T,

You're quite right, it is fludrocortisone.

In the end, I've opted to try the elete add in. The plan is just to use it during and after training. Racing is a bit ambitious at present!

Thanks again for all the advice!