Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Skirrid Race - South Wales

Skirrid Race Route

In spite of finding instructions, I'm damned if I could manage to attach this to the original Skirrid thread. Dim wit !
    Last edited by Grubby; 21-10-2012 at 10:41 PM.

Re: Skirrid Race Route

Well, you have just 'dated' yourself out of a keen summit marshall... I am in the Lakes on the 22nd...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Ooohhh!. First decent looks 'interesting'!! Did n't know there was a way down there. Should be 'rocky'! Will have a recce if poss shortly and let you know (I will use the footpaths over the fields though).
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Ok Grubby, the course as set is waaaaay to long for a winter league. Took me an hour to reach the final summit, so finishing time would be circa 1hr 10 for midfield. Rod Jones went round with me too to represent tail of field and he was out for about 2 hours. Even chopping 10% off those times to represent racing rather than training effort, the course would be a nice spring medium but needs amendment for a winter league race.

The loop from the last gate before the fellside to the first descent point (i.e. heading south along the fence line to the south end of the ridge then up the footpath to the outcrop where you peel off the ridge to descend) took me 25 mins. You could take 20 mins out of that by following the angled footpath up the east face to the outcrop marked on the map.
    Also, the blue route back through the fields is now much better because new walker gates have been fitted to replace the broken stiles so it would be entirely possible to use the blue route for out AND back which cuts out a minor dogleg on the out route. Say another 5 mins saved. This should mean midfield finishing times in the 45-55 minute range i.e similar to Sugarloaf.

On the plus side, that final ascent up the knife edge is horrific!! For those in the know, it is as steep as first pull up Chwarel Y Fan, 5 times as long and there is NO FENCE to drag yourself up with! Superb!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks Wheeze.
    Yes, I concur.
    I reccied the whole thing today and as a result, which your experiences underline, will adopt your suggested changes.
    I'll try and delete the previous attachment and "make good" the whole posting.
    Those new walker's gates are a boon. Should be able to arrange those to be open.
    Race Route
    Attachment 6442
    Last edited by Grubby; 21-10-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Stupidity

Interesting...it looks as though on the descent through the rocky bit, you do not go all the way down to the path....I remember seeing the grassy ramp to my right as I ascended from the footpath. That cuts off another 3 or 4 minutes! That bottom path is VERY wet and muddy all year round....might be 'sporting' to include it?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I've just advertised this on our forum http://www.sandomenico.org.uk/index....953&Itemid=221
    What do we think the revisions make the distance come out as?
    Also probably not in the right place, I think I saw someone querying the series fixtures, the ones I know are here http://www.sandomenico.org.uk/index....temid=221#5549
    With hyperlinks to Garmin profiles for those not in the know (I imagine everyone does know)

Cheers for the links Saint.

I saw someone advertising the Skirrid at Sugar Loaf (you??) and I will almost certainly be there. I have passed that hill many many times and always thought it would be a good run but never got round to looking for a route for various reasons.

See you there
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Revised Skirris, as per last attachment - 3.5ml/1500ft (changed the original details also, to reflect revised course stats)
    A link: http://www.skirrid.fellrace.com/

Attaboy Grubby...now THATS what I call a fell race! Only trick is now to induce global amnesia on all womankind so that they forget that 22 Dec is the last Saturday shopping day before Christmas! (apols to all lady fell-runners. Such things as Christmas shopping clearly not relevant to your good selves!!)
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth